028. Ambushed

She was seething.

How could they do this to her own spirit animal? Her other half. When she found whoever was responsible for this, she was going to do a lot more than break their nose.

Saebeorht had been tightly packed together with a bunch of other different birds, their bodies pressed so tightly against each other that they barely had any space to move. It was terrible to say. Every chirp was a cry for help.

Jillian's fists clenched even tighter, her teeth gritting aggressively and her eyes glaring at the floor. How could they do such a thing?

"Those cowards better show themselves," She found herself growling aloud, her shoulders trembling with rage.

Ramiro almost seemed to look relaxed as he took in the sight with unfazed eyes. "Calm yourself. At least we found the damn bird."

"But just look at his condition. You can't look me in the eye and tell me you wouldn't feel a shred of anger towards the people who held your own spirit animal in a cramped up tank with barely enough space for him to swim in. I know you feel at least something for him," She defended, her voice rising by the second.

"And that's where you're wrong."

Jillian blinked twice in confusion, seeming to be at loss for words before she quickly recovered. "Pardon?" She blinked, once, turning and looking at the trap to set the birds free and touch her spirit animal.

"I said, it wouldn't matter to me if my spirit animal was in such a position," Ramiro said smoothly without a hint of emotion other than bluntness.

"You're a heartless man," she growled. "Watch someone put a spear through your beast and see if you break down."

"I probably wouldn't," Ramiro mused boredly, the hint of a smirk on his lips. "After all, at least my animal is intelligent enough not to land himself into trouble."

"Are you calling my spirit animal stupid?"

"Indeed," He confirmed. "You know, I've never been fond of your devil bird actually."

Despite the situation, Saebeorht hissed at the man and lashed out at the cage bars.

"Well, he isn't quite fond of you either, Capitán," She sneered at him.

When he simply chuckled in response, Jillian examined the cage her spirit animal was being held in. "We need a key. This lock won't break easily. It's well forged."

He narrowed his eyes. "Do you have a hairpin, Swan?"

She hesitated for a moment, reaching up and pulling the hairpin out of her hair. "You're right. Guess this is worth a shot. That left my mind."

"Clearly," The male behind her grunted.

"Shut up." She growled.

"Then hurry up and pick the lock. We don't have all day, Swan."

"—So then stop rushing me," She hissed as she lifted the lock with her hand and began to pick it.

"Well, if you worked faster, then I wouldn't be pushing you."

"Will you stop?" She insisted, letting go of the lock completely as she glared at him over her shoulder. "The longer you keep insulting me, the longer I will take to pick this lock. And as a result of that, the longer we will be stuck here. So shut up already."

Ramiro clicked his tongue in reply. "Fine."

She took a deep breath, finally having enough silence to work on the lock. Finally, she managed to open it.

Ramiro waited calmly behind her, keeping guard and watching their surroundings very closely. He had his swords in his hands, yet his grip on them was almost relaxed. As if he were confident enough in his abilities that he didn't doubt himself to cut down anyone in his way.

Cocky.

She cradled Saebeorht into her arms the moment he sprung out of the cage, running her fingers down his dampened feathers with a long shaky sigh of relief. He was back, and he was safe. That was all that mattered.

The captain held him for a bit longer, simply taking comfort in his presence before she rolled up her sleeve and he vanished away to become a tattoo alongside her arm.

With a small smile on her lips, Jillian turned to look towards Ramiro who was watching the door. "Okay, we can go now. He's fine."

Ramiro pursed his lips as he raised the sword, a frown forming on his lips. "I'm afraid our exit will have to be delayed. We're not alone here."