025. Changing Tides

The crystal blue waves crashed against the rocks in a lethal pattern from afar, and Ammiras could see everything from where he was standing on one of the larger cliffs.

The spyglass in his hands was lightweight, and so far he could see nothing but the expansive ocean. Still no sign of his sister. Above him, Saebeorht flew lazily around in the clear blue sky. It's all he has been doing for the past few weeks. Ammiras could tell the bird was getting frustrated.

"Ammiras, come eat," Wendy requested from where she was picking at a lunch of ham sandwiches. "Did you see anything out there?"

"No. Nothing at all," Ammiras replied dully as he seated himself beside her and reached for one of the sandwiches. "Asherah still hasn't come back either."

Jillian had been gone for weeks, without any trace. He could still remember the moment Saebeorht had crashed into him, shrieking. That was how he knew something was very wrong.

Every day, he'd try sending Asherah out to see if she could help the search, but the bird always returned empty taloned. It seemed she was starting to get bored of searching as well. There was nothing for miles, nothing about where Jill could be. That stupid male captain had also seemed to go off the map, and he was convinced that it was no coincidence.

Wendy picked at her sandwiches as her face dropped. "Oh. Too bad . . . I was really hoping this time."

"Yeah me too," Ammiras agreed. "But don't worry. She has to show up eventually. That captain can't sail forever."

"But what if you're wrong?"

"Huh?" Ammiras stopped eating for a second to glance at her.

"W-What if he's already killed her?"

He narrowed his eyes. "He wouldn't. There's something about him. He doesn't want her dead. He wants her broken. And you know how hard it is to break Jill."

"But why is he after her?" Wendy lamented. "I wish he could just leave us alone . . ."

Ammiras looked away for a moment, before he snapped his head up. "Wait."

"What?"

"The name he calls her, what did you say it was?"

"Swan. Why?"

The male cursed. "You don't remember, Wendy. You were too young. But . . . Jillian's name has not always been Jillian."

His younger sister blinked at him in surprise. "What?"

"Jill's birth name wasn't Jillian. Our parents named her something else. She only changed her name after the previous captain of the Winged Victory died."

"Is it Swan then? How does that captain even know?"

He nodded. "Yes. Her birth name was Swan. And the only way he could know is if he either stalked her, or knew her as a child."

Wendy opened her mouth to reply, but suddenly snapped it shut as she looked at the sea with a look of complete shock. "Ammiras . . . is that a ship? It looks . . . familiar."

The male turned to see where she was looking.

Indeed . . . It was a ship. A very very familiar ship. It was the Silver Hawk.

"It's that captain's ship," Ammiras hissed through his teeth with distaste. "They're heading straight for us."

He could hear Wendy's intense breathing from next to him, her small petite form trembling with fear. "Jillian must be with him . . ." She murmured.

Ammiras's eyes narrow at her words. "Most likely."

He clenched his fists and sighed deeply.

"If he's hurt her, I'll kill him."

The Silver Hawk soon docked, and two figures began to make their way down onto land. One was the captain, and the other one was their sister.

"Jillian!" Wendy cried as she threw herself towards her older sister and hugged her tightly. "We were so worried . . . we didn't know where you went or if you were okay. What happened to you?"

Ammiras stayed silent as he observed the both of them, keeping a close eye on where the captain was standing. There was nothing kind on his face.

Jillian smiled and hugged her sister back, looking exhausted from her place beside the captain. "It's a long story, but I'm fine."

Ammiras raised an eyebrow. "Fine? Just fine? You don't want to tell us where you ran off to?"

"Later perhaps." Jillian replied with pursed lips and tired eyes. "I am rather tired. Let me rest. When I awake, then we'll talk."

Wendy nodded once. "Fine then. Take my rented room and get some sleep. You sure look like you need it anyway."