020. Swordpoint

Jillian could taste the moisturized air the moment her deep brown eyes fluttered open.

     She was alive, but what on earth had happened?

     The last thing she had remembered was falling unconscious after being drugged from a few unfamiliar men. Could it have been Ramiro's crew? Why would he capture her again?   

     No, it wasn't Ramiro. These men, they had not smelled like him or his crew.

     She was currently tied up somewhere, her back pressed against a hard surface. For a moment, she didn't know if she was upright or laying down, until she realized she was looking up at a storm-gray sky.

     What in the world?

      Groggily, her eyes flickered around the room, studying it with a careful gaze. She couldn't see much, but she knew she had to be in a brig of some sorts. What other place would it be?  

     She struggled weakly from her bonds, gritting her teeth when the movement was restricted. Wonderful.

     How the hell was she supposed to get out now?

      If only Saebeorht was here.

     The bird could help her escape in some way. Whether it be bringing help or bringing her something she could use to free herself.  

     But he wasn't there. Not with her. He was either locked up somewhere or still with the Winged Shadow. Either way, he wasn't with her.

     Her eyes fluttered closed for a moment as she tried to push the remaining thoughts out of her head. No room for pity. She needed to get out first. If this ship wasn't Ramiro's, then who did it belong to? Another pirate? What did they want from her?

     Maybe they wanted to torture her just like Ramiro did. Sick things did run in the head of a pirate when a helpless female was in front of him. She didn't know if her body could take much more trauma. More target practice? If they wanted to hear her scream and beg for mercy, she might just do that.

     What was the point of fighting anyway? They should just stick a blade in her heart and be done with it. She was tired of being a toy to a bunch of strangers.

     Jillian closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath to calm her nerves. She wondered who these people were and why they were after her now too. Had Ramiro hired them to scare her into crawling back to him?

      If he did, she was definitely going to slap him for that. He deserved a broken jaw if that was true.

     If she listened carefully enough, she could hear commotion out of the door. What was going on out there?

     She couldn't speak. Not really. There was a white cloth shoved into her mouth that she couldn't spit out.

     At least she wasn't blindfolded.

     She could still see what was going on around here thankfully, but for how long?

      Footsteps approached and she held her breath, willing her body to stay still. Maybe if she pretended she was unconscious—

      The door opened and a few figures made their way inside, footsteps calculating and low in a dangerous sort of way. She remained where she was.

      It was the male who had abducted her in the first place, flanked by about three other males who all eyed her with mixed expressions. The captain of the Winged Shadow resisted a sneer in their direction.

     The male at the front held a long sword - a cutlass. Jillian realized that it was hers - she could see the words 'Swan Meyers' carved into the hilt. Her birth name.

     "This should be entertaining." The male began in a cool, collected voice, much different from Ramiro's.

      "You men are all alike," Jillian spat, flexing her wrists. "What do you even want from me?"

      "None of your concern really. I am Gustavo, Captain of the Golden Kraken," The male stated in a calm tone though it was bored.

     Jillian rolled her eyes. "Like I care at this point. Do your worst."

     His eyes sparkled. "Is that a challenge?"

     "Perhaps," Jillian replied in an aloof tone. Whatever he was planning to do with her, she could handle it. He wasn't Ramiro after all.   

     The male regarded her with a long look, saying nothing for a moment before he cracked his neck from side to side. The gesture caused Jillian to furrow a brow.

     So he already knew what he was going to do.

     The anticipation was making Jillian sick to her stomach. She'd have to go through all that torture yet again, just because some stupid male had to kidnap her again.

     Time was an illusion and this was a dangerous game she was playing.

     The male sat down beside her, and to Jill he looked more like a teenage boy than a captain. He certainly wasn't over the age of eighteen.

     He admired her sword for a long moment before he placed it under her chin, testing the sharpness against the thin flesh of her throat.

     She closed her eyes for a moment, allowing her thoughts to move anywhere but this place. She didn't want to give him the satisfaction of anything but her hatred.

     Jillian could feel her pulse throb against the sharp blade, drawing a shallow streak of blood that painted her skin delicately. It was like history was repeating itself.

     "Mmm, sharp." The captain purred, then smirked. "But I thought your name was Captain Jillian."

    She didn't respond.

     "This sword has a different name."

     Not a single word. She only averted her gaze behind the male. She could tell it was making him impatient and more arrogant. Good. Let him be angry.

      Let him use that sword against her.

     Let him destroy her.

     Death was better than life after all.