07. Wings of Change

Jill woke to the scent of fresh salt and the spray of the ocean on her face.

     Her limbs were sore and the girl was tired despite sleeping for several hours. She was still chained to the mast, no way of possibly freeing herself or moving in a more comfortable position. Being forced to stay in one position was really making her back stiff and ache.

     The captain hadn't come back for her, and for that she was grateful. At least she had a moment of peace.

     Wendy was mopping the floor once again and her eyes flickered up to meet Jill's for a split second, before returning back to the floor. Her movements were slow and stiff, but efficient nonetheless. Around her, the men didn't seem to be giving her any trouble.

     The throbbing of her forearm wouldn't cease and occasionally she found herself glancing towards Saebeorht's tattoo. She knew the bird longed to be free and wished to save her, but if she let him out, chances were he'd end up like Simba.

     Wherever the rabbit had ended up. . .

     A deep sigh. She'd get him out of there one way or another. She had to. She owed her sister that much at the least.

     From her place tied up, she still had a perfect view of the endless ocean and the waves that loomed below them. The water's cerulean glow was illuminated by the sunlight. It wasn't a hot day, but it wasn't a cold one either. The day time was much better than the night.

     At least she wouldn't become an icicle.

     The radiation from the sun was warming her skin, reverting the icy chill she had felt last night. It was so much more peaceful in the daytime, despite the fact she was still being held hostage.  

     Jillian's eyes flickered around one more time as if searching for anyone who was watching her. The urge to release Saebeorht was starting to come unbearable. She longed for her spirit animal's company. He was her other half after all. She couldn't imagine life without him. It would be like living without a limb. 

     Asherah mercifully didn't come back, and for that Jill was glad. She didn't want to see the bird suffer because of her. Her brother would never forgive her for that.

     A gentle breeze caressed her cheek and she found herself breathing the salt smelling air, tilting her head up slightly as her eyes fluttered closed. She was tired. Tired of being held hostage. Tired of being toyed with as if she were an object and not a human being. She was tired of simply waiting for an opportunity to let her spirit animal out as well. They couldn't catch him when he was so high up in the air, anyway.

     Saebeorht appeared in a bright flash of light, taking to the sky silently before anyone could see him. Jill leaned her head back and closed her eyes, the motion of the ship relaxing her aching mind and releasing the stress plaguing her bones. She just needed a moment. She could do this.

     She traced the bird's sleek build as he disappeared into the thick clouds, not even leaving a single feather behind. He was quick to do so, simply waiting without even releasing a caw. A smile grazed her lips, one of relief. At least he was free and could track the ship from above.

     Now that he was safe and out of harm's way, she had one less thing to worry about. The other being Wendy, the little sister she needed to look out for and get away from this ship. If she could only talk to her for a moment . . .

     "Wendy," She called out hoarsely, voice barely a whisper. Mercifully no one heard her. What was she thinking?

     The young girl who was mopping the deck lifted her head in silence, her pale eyes turning to look straight at Jill.

     Her heart leapt to her throat. She had heard her. Slowly, she jerked her head to the left, beckoning the girl to come to her. 

     Wendy looked around before setting the mop down and moving closer. Before Jill could speak, her sister had wrapped her arms around her neck.

     Jill breathed in a sigh as she leaned into her sister's touch, not able to hug back because of the restraints around her limbs. She felt her eyes grow wet with unshed tears of silver, and she trembled slightly.   

     "What have they done to you?" She asked her quietly.

      Wendy trembled slightly. "Nothing I can't handle," She tried for a sheepish smile. "So far just the whip."

     "Nothing else? None of them have touched you in any way that could suggest—"

     "No," Wendy replied in a soft tone. "Not yet. One threatened me with it."

     Jill narrowed her eyes at her words. "Who?"

     "The first mate. Said if I didn't pick up the pace he would, um," she gulped and leaned against her big sister again.

     "The first mate? I thought we both saw him die," Jill said uncertainly. "We have to find a way out of here."

     "He appointed someone else as the first mate after you killed his other one. This one is the first one's brother."

     "Joy," Jill muttered sarcastically. "Do you have any idea where they might be holding your rabbit?"

     Wendy went quiet. "Jill . . . I think they're going to kill him tonight."

     Her heart stopped dead in her chest. "Are you sure of it? Maybe I can send Saebeorht to find him. There's still time. We can save him."

     "They're talking about feeding him to the captain's shark. I can feel his fear, Jill. He's scared."

     Jill leaned more against her sister with wide eyes. "We have to stop this madness. There's no way I will let you go through a shattered bond."     

     She could negotiate, beg for the rabbit's life if she had to. What would he want in exchange for his life?

     What would she be able to give him?

     It didn't matter. . . She'd give anything up to save the life of her sister's spirit animal. Without Simba, the girl would fall victim to the madness that plagued one's body once their spirit animal's life was lost. It was a horrible life to live, one that was full of sadness. Most never recovered. 

     Jill opened her mouth to speak reassuring words to her sister, when footsteps sounded. She had no time to react before suddenly, an arm wrapped around Wendy's neck, an arm that held a knife. The tip of the blade traced the young girl's throat before the insufferable accented voice sounded from behind the child.

     "Well, well, well, what do we have here?"