08. Strangers of the Sea

From the moment Ammiras pulled himself up onto the unfamiliar dock of a passing ship, soaked and spluttering sea water out of his hissing lungs, he made a vow to do whatever it took to get his sister back.

The men on the ship had assumed he was dead, and they most likely sank the Winged Victory. He didn't know what had gone down since being knocked out cold, but he did know that his sister was alive and in the hands of the captain.

She had to be. They wouldn't have killed her just like that. A crew of pirates that were all men were known to be merciless. They must have taken her as either a slave or a hostage. At least she was still breathing . . .

The passing ship had seen him gripping a lone log of wood that must have been the remnants of the winged victory. He was still breathing and conscious at the time, and the people had thankfully pulled him up.

Lucky it wasn't a pirate ship, only a passing seatrader's ship. Had it been a pirate's ship, he would have been dead before he even reached the docs.

Ammiras pushed a lock of his soggy wet hair out of his face as he pushed himself up and onto his feet. His legs ached and strained underneath him and he had to lean against the railing for support.

"What is your name, son?" One of the passengers on the merchant ship asked as his eyes flickered up to study them. It was a family of four, two parents and two children. There were no animals in sight, save for a Sea Lion who eyed him with a strange expression and then barked as the son stepped in front of him when he noticed Ammiras's attention upon it.

"Ammiras. Thank you for saving me," He replied in a respectful tone, shivering as the air caressed his freezing limbs. His eyes scanned the sky for any sight of his Caped Gannet, but she was nowhere in sight.

"Why were you in the sea?" Asked the little girl. She seemed to be more skittish than her brother, hiding behind her mother for protection and peeking out from behind her.

"Now, now Kana. Give the lad some space to breath. Why don't you take your brother and find that Dwarf Lantern Shark of yours? I bet he's lonely without your company," Said the father as the little girl's eyes lit up at the mention of her spirit animal. She gripped her brother's arm and dragged him away towards one of the rooms on the ship. The Sea Lion let out a series of barks as it waddled behind them, causing his boy to let out a laugh and slow down for it to catch up.

The sight brought a smile to Ammiras's lips. The children reminded him so much of Jillian and himself. Even little Wendy when she was younger and the three of them would spend so much time together.

Now that the children were out of harm's way, the man schooled his face into one that was displeased. "You're a pirate aren't you?"

His wife's eyes almost seemed to narrow at him as if studying his every movement.

Ammiras couldn't find the strength to come up with a lie. He was tired and hungry and aching for revenge for both the Winged Victory and his sister. "Yes. Yes I am. If you want to throw me to the sharks, go ahead. But just know that I won't be a threat to you and your children."

"We will do no such thing. You seem awfully young and skinny to be the member of a Pirates crew. Stay for the rest of today, but I'm afraid you'll have to go in the morning," Said the woman as her husband met her gaze with a hardened stare. A silent conversation seemed to pass between them. "We're docking in the morning anyway to drop off the new load of fish. I don't think it would be a problem, right?" A pointed look towards her husband.

"Thank you for your kindness," Ammiras said respectfully, his hands at his side.

"How old are you anyway, lad?" The man asked him.

"Nineteen." Ammiras replied without hesitation. Being the twin brother of Jillian, they were the exact same age except for the fact that Jill was born a minute before he was. It was something she normally liked to gloat about.

"Hmmmm . . Not exactly old but not exactly young either." The woman seemed to be deep in thought as she released a sleek, breathtaking bird out of passive state. It had to be an Oriental Darter. It's glossy feathers almost seemed to shine in the sunlight. "Check on the children, please."

Ammiras breathed in shakily in awe as the stunning bird took off with a sweep of its wings, heading for the room the children had scampered off to. It's long neck craned elegantly.

"What a beautiful bird . . ." He commented. It reminded him of his own spirit animal that was still gone. The realization sank in and he let out a long sigh. Where was she? When would she come back? He hoped she would, because after losing everyone else, his spirit animal was all he had at his side for the moment.

Had he been foolish to send her after Jill? What if the pirates killed her? The thought struck fear into his heart, but he didn't let it show. He had to be brave. For her. Jillian had always been the strongest of the two of them, even if she only had a minute against him, she always took the role of the caring older sister. She gave everything she had to keep him and the rest of the crew safe.

He'd often teased her that she'd make a wonderful mother one day.

Now . . . now he just hoped she made it that far in her life.

Ammiras let out a sigh as he rubbed the skin of his temples. He had to get her back. He had to get her out of that place. She didn't deserve to suffer with whatever the men were doing to her.

For he knew for a fact that while Jill was beautiful and dangerous . . . she was also no match for that captain.