Chapter 11

Rhea

There was a distant sadness in him, Rhea thought. She got up to comfort him but he stopped her and continued.

"Canada was not my country, even though I lived there for almost 10 years had Canadian citizenship but it wasn't home. I was just out of the prison, in a foreign country, disowned by my family and grieving over my ex- fiance who left me. With two million dollars in my bank account and a 4 BHK house in Halifax but I was still alone. So I came back. Ever since you left me, I had one thought that I'll find you back. That's what kept me going in the prison. I had to come back to you," he said it not with anger but in a loving manner that moved Rhea.

"I came to India and started investing my money. Also started searching for you and now here I am, with you. Kidnapping you and forcing you to stay with me because I don't know how to live without you", he finished and turned around to face Rhea.

This time she moved towards him and held his face in her hands. His eyes were filled with tears but he didn't let them fall.

"Why don't you hate me?" she asked.

His face mirrored the expression of shock.

"How can I hate you when I love you? Can't you see nothing good ever happened to me when you left. You are all that good, you are all that happiness to me. You are my angel", he tried to reason.

Rhea's hands fell limply by her side. She didn't know what to say. Her mind; a mixture of thoughts. She simply turned around and ran the length of stairs to her room, closing the door with a gentle thud.

She sat on the bed, reeling through everything she just heard. She would purposely talked about Samuel and her life before to annoy him. She made it sound all so happy to him to provoke him.

But the truth was, she had not stopped thinking about Matthias ever. No, it wasn't always good and loving, but it wasn't always bitter either. She had often in the last five years thought, what would have happened if she hadn't left him. If they would have actually got married.

The thought troubled her. It was true that she loved Samuel but things were not the same with them as they showed on the exterior. So many times in the last five years, Rhea had thought about leaving, about running away or just simply disappearing.

The sound of doorknob moving brought Rhea out of her trance. She sat up straighter.

Matthias walked in quietly and sat himself at the study table. Both of them, following the actions of the other without blinking.

None of them said a word, making it feel like the silence was stretching forever. 'You're wrong, you know', Rhea said small-ly.

She said it so low volume that it took a few seconds for the words to sink in. He raised his eyebrow in questioning, not wanting to break the little connection that seemed to have formed between them in these minutes.

Rhea took it as a cue to elaborate and continued. "When you said that your happiness was because of me, it might've been when I was with you. But you don't see, that all that pain, all the problems were also because of me leaving, which was a decision that I had made; to leave you" Rhea blabbered. Exhaling loudly she continued, "What I'm saying is, if I was the cause of your happiness, your sorrow has also been a result of my actions. So when you say that I'm good and angel and whatever whatever... I'm not."

She looked up, trying to read Matthias' expression. But nothing gave away.

He simply got up and sat beside Rhea. The warmth she saw in his eyes was little comfort compared to what she was feeling.

Matthias gently placed his hand on top of hers, which was on her lap. 'Whatever you say might or might not be right, but any truth or lie cannot change the fact that I love you. And I'll always love you.'