Chapter One

~ Stars POV ~

6 years ago I started living here. 6 years. I've been kept here for 6 years. Im an orphan, my mother died giving birth to me and my father abused me until the day I turned 7 when he decided to dump me in the street with no food or anything. He left me to die after 7 years of beating me up. From the age of 5 I knew what self harm was, my father taught me how and he told me to do it because I deserved it. I've been doing it ever since. The matron took most of my blades away but I dont need blades, just any sharp object. One of the carers was driving home one night and they say me crying in the road, covered in blood and bruises. She picked me up and brought me here. They put me up for adoption but surprise surprise nobody has adopted me. Children of the ages of 7 and under leave here soon enough but me? I'll probably never leave. The carers insist that they are just waiting to find me the perfect home. I call bullshit. Nobody wants me. They never will.

My name is Star and Im 13 years old. My only friend is music. Punk Rock to be exact. Im a huge fan of Green Day. Thats the only thing keeping me sane-music. Music is my escape, its all I have now. Its basically my life.

Im awake but I keep my eyes shut, hoping somehow I'll just magically drift away.
"STAR!!! BREAKFAST!!!" Matron shouts.
Well shit, guess I have to get up. "COMING!!!" I shout back, rolling out of bed. I brush my blonde hair and rub the sleep out of my eyes, I pull out some black skinny jeans and my favourite green Green Day shirt. Yes, Green Day shirts can be green. Stumbling out of my dorm, I plug in my headphones and press play on my phone. American Idiot starts blasting in my ears. I cant help but start headbanging. One of the 8 year old boys laughs at me but I flip him off and he gasps. I hold my index finger to my lips and tell him to shh, he nods and runs away. Haha, he's scared of me. Slumping down in a chair at the table, I turn off my music and take some waffles from the plates in the middle. I chomp down my 4 waffles in less than 5 minutes before dashing back up the stairs to brush my teeth.

It sucks that I eat fast, it means I waste literally NO time at all which means my days are so much longer than they should be. Spitting out my toothpaste in the sink, I remember the attic. I bolt up the stairs that lead to the attic, barge through the door and run to the sit-in window. I lean against the left side of the window and sit down, hugging my knees into my chest. I turn my music back on and Green Day blasts through my headphones once again. I bob my head and watch as my day drifts past me at snail speed. I see people come and leave here with young children and sigh. They're so lucky. I see one woman walk into the hairdressers above the street with blonde hair and come out with black bangs. She looks so badass now. I watch as people go about their day without a care in the world. Its fascinating to me that they are free while I am trapped in here, alone. Well not really alone because there are lots of other people here but alone in the sense that nobody knows me or cares about me.

People walk out of the tattoo parlour, awesome new tattoos covering their visible limbs. One guy just got his face tattooed and he has to walk around with white tape around his face, hahaha he looks like mummy! Suddenly a 1D song starts playing, I yank my headphones out of my ears and kick my phone across the floor, hissing and making a cross sign with my fingers. Matron walks in and sees me in my rather strange pose.
"Erm...Star...what exactly are you doing?" Matron asks
"Trying to banish Satan from my phone." I explain casually.
Matron picks up my phone and laughs before pressing the skip and pause button and handing it back to me. "Sorry to interrupt your Satan-Banishing act but the Mistress wishes to speak with you." She says, smiling at me.
Blood drains from my face. There are only 2 reasons that the Mistress would want to see me:
1) That kid I flipped off earlier dobbed me in and now Im in deep shit.
OR
2) Im being sent away to another orphanage.
Well seeing as that kid looked genuinely terrified of me, Im gonna go for the second option. Im rather hoping Im in trouble though, I'd rather be in trouble than be sent somewhere new.
"Dont worry, you arent in trouble!" The Matron says kindly.
Thanks a bunch Matron. Looks like Im being evicted then. Fuck.