Chapter 32: Petrified

Start from the beginning

Charlotte crossed her arms. "You know what, Keegan? I've had enough of you. You're sleeping outside tonight." She pointed at the hospital's exit. "I don't want to see you until you get your priorities together."

Keegan glared at her. He placed his hand on his heart. "My priorities? My priority is to get rid of that stupid ranger and return to Ms. Gilbert."

Evie started to sweat. "Dad, you're not talking about... Please tell me you're not."

"That's enough, Keegan!" Charlotte could not help herself. She lifted her hand and slapped her husband across the cheek, right in front of her daughter. "Get out of here!"

Keegan massaged his cheek. Scoffing, he closed his eyes and left the hospital.

Evie shivered. Her parents were on the verge of a divorce. She just knew it.

Charlotte turned to Evergreen and Dr. Kato. "Sorry about that. I don't know what's gotten into him. Um, do you think I can see my sister?"

"Sure." Dr. Kato nodded. He gestured for Evie and Charlotte to follow him.

Evergreen stayed behind. She glanced at the door Keegan left from and thoughtfully rubbed her chin.

***

Maria and John did not leave Mateo's side that night. He was so weak. There was no way he could make it to the hospital to see his mom, and it hurt.

The pain in Maria's belly left, but now she had to deal with her seriously ill fiancé. He had such a high fever; it was hard for her to cool him down.

John turned on the ceiling fan and grabbed a few portable ones from the room's closet. He scattered them around Mateo, turning each one to High.

Maria hugged Mateo's hand. "Mateo, why won't you just let us take you to the hospital?"

"Because I don't need one," he replied.

Maria moved her hand across her eyes. "But you're getting worse."

Mateo released his hand from hers. "All I ask for, Maria, is for you and John to take care of Mamá. Don't let her die."

Even John was getting a little angry. "We're not going to let you kill yourself, Mateo."

"Why not?" Mateo pushed up on his palms. "This is all my fault. My mom is injured because I said 'yes' to this stupid mission." He glanced at Maria. "I got you pregnant, Maria, and now I've failed my duty as both a ranger and counselor."

"Babe, stop." Maria pushed him back onto his pillows. "I'm at just as much fault with what happened at the banquet as you. I forgot to take my pill that day. Stop putting all the guilt on yourself."

Mateo removed Maria's hands from his shoulders. "Ugh!" he yelled. He slipped under his pillows and covers, hiding himself from view.

John touched Maria's back with his wing. He carefully pulled her away from Mateo. The second he did, she and he heard the cabin's door open.

"Who's there?" John asked. He and Maria turned toward Mateo's door.

It was Keegan. He sauntered into the room, his feet not making a sound.

As quick as a flash, Maria held her arms up to Mateo's lump. She hopped onto his bed. "What do you want, Mr. Madison?"

He scoffed. "Well, excuse me. Can't a guy see his nephew?"