Chapter 12

“Ah there it is” Paige said looking at her wrist watch.

She listened for a whole minute.

“Whoa, your heart is pumping great. 105 beats per minute!” Paige said letting go of my wrist.

“Awesome” I said.

“You feel ok, you aren’t lightheaded or anything are you” Paige asked.

“No, I feel good” I said.

“Good. You really got stamina Lydia, if you’re this active while pregnant, I wonder how you were before pregnancy” Paige said.

“Oh girl you couldn’t handle me when I wasn’t pregnant. Tuh! I was like the freaking Energizer Bunny, hell not even he could keep up wit me” I said lying. Before pregnancy, I was a bum. I was lazy, I hated anything physical, and all I ate were burgers, fries, ribs and steaks. Also I ate lots of junk food. Before pregnancy, I didn’t give a shit about the crap I ate. It just didn’t matter to me, as long as it taste good. Then Cat came in, and changed my whole life around. Made me eat healthy foods, we use to go walking together, before she got crazy busy with her job, and her lowlife husband. Anyway before pregnancy, I was the epitome of an unhealthy bum.

“That’s awesome. Look at me Lydia” Paige said.

I looked at her, and she pulled one of those small flashlights that the doctors have to look at your eyes. She opened my eyes wider, and flashed the light in my eye.

“Perfect. You have beautiful eyes” Paige said with a smile.

“Thanks. So what’s up with all this medical stuff. I’m really ok” I said.

“Well sweetness, if you didn’t know, I’m in school for nursing. And this week we’ve focused on maternity care, and newborn care” Paige said. Ok call me a bad girlfriend or whatever. But I swear to whoever, I had no idea Paige was in school for nursing. I thought she was going for law or something.

“I thought you were in school for law” I said.

“No, I’m not” Paige said.

“Well good for you dear” I said.

“Think I’ll make a good nurse” Paige asked.

“Yes, a very naughty nurse” I said.

“Only if you’re my patient, ever did it in the hospital bed” Paige flirted.

“Stop being nasty” I laughed. After the short break, we began to hike again. We were getting high, according to Paige we were a hundred and twenty feet off of the ground. That’s pretty high if you asked me. We were just walking, and walking and everything was going great. Then a cool breeze blew, and I swear I went to heaven. That breeze felt so good, it was like Jesus himself was blowing his cool breathe on me. Paige and I were walking, we were keeping up quite well. For old people, these people were really moving. I was really enjoying this hike, and just as I was about to pass. There was a crack in the rocks, and I noticed it but paid it no mind. That was until a snake shot out that crack like lightning fast.

“Snake!” I screamed. The snake scared me so bad I lost my balance.

“Lydia!” Paige screamed. It was too late, I had stumbled back, and the gravel under my feet crumbled. I fell off of the cliff. I was falling fast. It was happening so fast I couldn’t think. All I could do was look to the heavens and pray. Oh God please don’t let me die like this. I looked at the sky, and the sun blinded me. And I got lighter and lighter. The world went silent, and all I could see was the sun, oh the sun. Blinded by the sun, and deaf from the fear. Flashes, lots of flashes. Oddly enough all I could see was a baby. A beautiful green eyed baby. It was like I was looking down at a baby in a crib, and the baby was smiling at me. It was the most beautiful baby boy I had ever seen. I smiled back at him, and that’s when I crashed. My body hit solid rock with a huge boom. I heard bones cracking, my head bounced off of a rock. Then everything went black.