Part One Hundred

Jess’ POV

“It’s this train,” I said, pointing at a platform. We’d arrived in Paris and traversed the city to the regional train station, ready to head down to the chateau.

“Are you sure?”

“We’re going to Bordeaux,” I said, reading my ticket, “It says Bordeaux on the sign.”

“I just don’t want to get lost in France.”

“We’re fine!” I grinned, grabbing his hand and dragging him to the train. I passed my ticket to a conductor who scanned it quickly and then nodded curtly, indicating we were to get on the train. “See!”

“Traveling with you is stressful,” Aston groaned as he slumped into his seat, “I can’t believe you hadn’t even booked the connection tickets.”

“Why? There’s always seats available.”

“Still.”

“Oh shush!” I replied, settling into my seat and flicking the middle arm rest up so I could cuddle against Aston.

A few hours later the train chugged to a stop in Bordeaux. Together we dragged our bags off and then found the driver the chateau had sent to meet us at the station.

“Bonjour!” I grinned, trying out the French I’d tried to teach myself.

“Hello Miss Rego,” he said.

I turned and grinned at Aston. I’d read the French hated when foreigners tried to speak their language. They were too proud to have it butchered. It was obviously true.

We rode in silence out to the chateau. It was a gorgeous old building dating back to the 15th century. Lots of work had been done on it over the centuries, new wings added and renovations made. It seemed like the perfect place to have a hotel.

Our room was in a corner on one of the higher floors, with huge windows overlooking the vineyard that spread out down the hill beneath the property.

“This is perfect,” I sighed, looking out.

“It’s really gorgeous.”

“I want a chateau hotel now.”

“Let’s pay off the hostel first,” Aston replied, “We’ve got all the time in the world.”

“I know,” I shrugged, “New dreams are being born though.”

“That’s good, you should always keep dreaming.”

I smiled faintly, wrapping an arm around his waist in a soft hug. “Want to go explore?” I asked.

“Of course!”

Over the next few days we spent our time exploring Bordeaux and the area around it. The hotel had leant us a little vespa that we could ride around, and we had more fun than ever before trying to ride through the cobbled streets of the old city.

For meals we’d eat at the vineyard, or little family owned brasseries in the city, sipping local wine and enjoying incredible French food.

“Ok,” I declared on our fifth day, “I’m in charge today.”

“You are?” Aston grinned.

“Yes, now put some shorts on and get ready for an adventure.”

He gave me a confused look but did as I said, changing into some long shorts and following me out of the room.

“Where are we going?” he asked.

“Just follow me,” I said, starting off down a path in the back garden of the chateau.

“Hiking in the vineyard?” Aston asked me as we found ourselves between rows of grape vines.

“Not really,” I replied, taking his hand in mine. My ring was glittering in the warm sunlight of early summer and I could feel that little tingle of happiness as I squeezed Aston’s hand.

“You know this surprise is torturing me,” Aston said.

“Yup!”

“Troublemaker,” Aston muttered under his breath, continuing to follow me through the vineyard.

Eventually we came out in a clearing, a wooden cottage with flowers meeting us. An older gentleman in a flannel top and jeans came to meet us, his white moustache causing me to giggle.

“You must be Pierre,” I grinned, shaking his hand.

“And you’re Jessica and Aston.”

“Yes we are.”

“Are you ready to make wine?” Pierre asked.

“I am, not sure about him though,” I replied with a wink.

“Make wine?” Aston asked.

“I remember showing you pictures of when I did it in Buenos Aires,” I said, “You said it looked fun. I thought we could give it a go together.”

“Oh god,” Aston laughed, “For some reason I feel like we’re bound for disaster.”

“Probably,” I smiled, “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea for us.”

“It was a really good idea,” Aston replied, “Very thoughtful.”

We followed Pierre’s instructions for cleaning our feet, and then Aston climbed into a vat of grapes.

“This feels so weird!”

“Squish them around a bit!” I called, snapping a picture of Aston and then passing my camera to Pierre while I climbed in, hoping for a picture of the two of us.

“Look, we’re actually making something,” Aston said, pointing at a jug that had been placed under a spout in the vat.

“Yeah, and after we let it ferment properly we’ll drink it!”

“I’m not drinking this!” Aston laughed.

“Why not?” I frowned.

“Feet wine?”

“Ahh be adventurous!” I laughed, “I’ve had it before!”

“No wonder you’re crazy!”

With a shocked look I lunged at Aston, pushing him slightly. The pair of us both slipped and fell right into the vat of grapes, in a heap of laughter and limbs.

“Jess!!!” Aston yelled. We were both laughing hysterically as we tried to get up, failing miserably as we slipped around.

With a grin I picked up a handful of grapes and squished them right on top of Aston’s head, a loud yell piercing the air as I did so.

“I’m going to get you Rego!” Aston laughed, taking a handful of grapes and putting them down the back of my top.

We continued to fight in the vat of grapes for a few more minutes, stopping only when we couldn’t breathe anymore from laughing too much.

“So much for making wine,” I said.

“Where did Pierre go?”

I turned to look, only to see my camera sat on a picnic table, Pierre nowhere to be seen. I could only imagine the pictures he’d snapped.

“Guess he left us to cause our trouble alone?” I whispered, grabbing Aston by the t-shirt and dragging him nearer to me so I could press my lips against his in a grapey kiss.

“Love you Rego.”

“Love you too Merrygold,” I said, just as I put another handful of grapes down the back of his shorts.

x..The End..x