Part Ninety-Nine

Jess’ POV

“Don’t tell him I got these,” I said to Marvin and Rochelle as I went to leave their house. I’d spent the afternoon with Rochelle, pouring over baby things online. She’d worked out some secret deal with Aston in regard to the down payment on the hostel and I was doing my best to fawn over her as a thank you. It was about all I could do.

“He’s going to love it,” Rochelle said, “I’m sure he is.”

“I hope so,” I replied, slipping the envelope into my purse. I’d had it sent to Rochelle and Marvin’s just in case Aston spotted it at mine.

“I think he will.”

I gave Rochelle another hug and then headed home, picking up some food to cook on my way.

Aston came round a few hours later, slumping into the sofa as soon as he walked in.

“You ok?” I asked, a bit amused by his dramatics.

“Exhausted.”

“Oh?”

“Been running all over town today and had gym time with the trainer in the morning. My muscles are all sore and my brain is tired.”

“Awww… want a massage?” I asked, sitting on the edge of the couch.

He turned to look at me, a smirk on his lips as he shook his head. “I think one is enough from you,” he laughed, “If I recall you bit me the last time.”

“I didn’t bite you!” I said, mock scandal on my voice.

“Well you did.”

“No!”

He rolled his eyes at me, putting his feet up on the coffee table as I wandered off to get our food together. I carefully served our plates, slipping silverware on them as I wandered back to the main room.

“What’s this?” Aston asked, holding up a book.

“A book.”

“No I mean, why do you have it?” he questioned, flicking through it. A map fell out and he picked it up.

“Just planning an adventure,” I shrugged, passing him his food. He set it on the table and inspected the map.

“France?”

“Maybe.”

“You’re going aren’t you?” he asked.

“Yeah, in two weeks.”

“Right.”

I was certainly entertained by his reaction. After my drunken declarations in Dublin I was a bit surprised he was jumping to such conclusions.

“I joined a hostel association now that I’ve got the place in my name,” I explained, “It’s mostly for advertising, you know posting ads for other hostels and creating offers together. But, it’s also sort of a forum I guess. So we can share ideas and that.”

“So you’re going to visit a hostel?” Aston asked confused.

“Nooo,” I grinned, “One of the French members of the Association has a few properties, including this gorgeous chateau that you can stay in. He offered me an incredible deal to come and stay for a week. They’ve got a vineyard and there are some cool old cathedrals nearby…”

“You’re going to France for a week?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh… um ok.” He had a frown on his face and I could tell he was doing his best to hide it from me. I’d seriously annoyed him!

I giggled at him again, picking at my food as he sat and pondered my news in silence, moving his food around on his plate but not really eating.

“You know Aston,” I said as I set my empty plate on the coffee table, “I was drunk in Dublin, but I did mean what I said.”

“What?”

“I’m not going anywhere without you.”

“What?” he asked, confused.

“You think I’m going to France without you!” I laughed, “That I didn’t even bother to invite you along!”

“Well I mean… I was a bit annoyed that you hadn’t said anything.”

“Yeah, because it’s meant to be a surprise,” I grinned.

“Wait, what?”

“I’ve got two tickets on the Eurostar to Paris for two weeks from today. Not one. Gosh Ast!!!”

“I didn’t know!” he laughed.

“You drive me nuts sometimes!”

“Sorry!” he grinned.

“You wanna come? I checked with Marv before I started planning, you’re off that week.”

“Hell yeah I wanna come,” he said.

“We’re traveling my way though,” I said.

“What’s that mean?”

“Roughing it a little bit. This chateau I found is not a five-star hotel by any means.”

“You don’t think I can rough it?” he asked.

“Well…” I grinned suggestively.

We spent the rest of the evening flicking through the guidebook and looking at the map, chatting about the different things we wanted to do.

“I know one thing we’re definitely doing,” I grinned.

“What’s that?”

“No way, I’m not telling.”

“Aww come on?” he asked, “Give me a hint?”

“Nope.”

“Just one word?”

“My lips are sealed Merrygold,” I said, my eyes sparkling as he tried to read my expression.

“Am I going to like it?”

“I think so.”

“Is it…”

“Ast,” I said, cutting him off, “You’re awful with surprises.”

“But…”

“How about this, let’s just make sure we have a camera.”

“A camera?” he asked, confusion across his face.

I giggled again, kissing his cheek as I picked up the guidebook again, refusing to give him any more of a hint.