Part Sixty-Six

Jess’ POV

“Jess, Ev is coming around in an hour,” Noah said loudly. I was laid out on the sofa burrowed under a spare duvet, trying to get a little bit more sleep, my head pounding a bit from the night before.

“Shhhh…”

“You gotta get up!”

“I don’t wanna!”

“Jessica, we’re going for a Sunday roast at the pub and we’re going to talk.”

“I don’t feel like it,” I said.

“Now you’re just in denial.”

“I don’t care.”

“Get up and go have a wash,” Noah said, coming and dragging me off the couch.

“I hate you.”

“I’m really curious to see who you were in Thailand,” Noah said with a laugh, “Because you seem to be the same ornery little shit I’ve always known.”

“And you’re the same annoying asshole I’ve always known,” I muttered, wandering to the bathroom for a quick shower.

Once rinsed off I went back out to the kitchen to find some tablets. Noah was sat at the little table with his laptop.

“Did you see this?”

“See what?” I asked, slumping into the chair next to him. My hair was still wet and I was in a baggy jumper and leggings because I was too hungover too care.

“This picture.”

“I haven’t been surfing the net or whatever today Noah. If you recall you just woke me from my lovely sleep by dragging me off the couch.”

“You deserved it. Anyways, the picture. It’s of Aston,” he said, turning his laptop to me, a Daily Mail article on display. There was a paparazzi picture of Aston leaving the club the night before, cake still smeared all over his top. And he was smiling.

“Fucker.”

“He told the paps that he was messing around with a friend,” Noah said, “And obviously he made no effort to wash it off.”

“I’m not his friend,” I said.

“Oh god Jess,” Noah sighed, “We need Ev here now to talk some sense into you.”

“Why is he smiling?” I asked, still staring at the picture.

“Probably because he got to see you,” Noah said.

“You’re full of shit.”

“Jess, you’re insane. The guy was clearly over the moon to see you and you did that to him.”

“I can’t believe it, I actually think I’m the only sane one left,” I said, pushing myself up from the table to go dry my hair and get ready for our meal.

Evan arrived after a little while and the three of us wandered down the road to Noah’s local for a roast and a chat.

“I’m getting a pint,” I said as I sat down.

“Is that a good idea?” Evan worried.

“To be honest Ev, I’m so hungover right now it might do me some good.”

“Go on then,” he said with a frown.

We ordered our food and sat back, chatting a bit about the radio show. The boys really wanted me to come back on, but I was too busy getting the hostel together.

“How about this,” I said, “Once I’ve got the bar open and a manager for the hostel I’ll come back.”

“And when is that going to be?”

“A few weeks? Maybe a month or two?” I said, “I’ve got all sorts of people coming by over the next week to give me estimates on the exterior and the hostel rooms. And I’m interviewing bar managers.”

“Wow, things are moving fast.”

“I want this place open,” I said, “So I can start making money. If this Thomas guy shows up and decides that he wants his place back I at least want to get the money back that I’ve invested.”

“He won’t take it back.

“Who knows,” I muttered.

“So the bar is moving along?” Evan asked, changing the subject.

“Yeah, I’ve got guys in cleaning it up this week too,” I said, sipping my pint, “I’m hoping to have it open in maybe two weeks.”

“That fast?”

“Yup. Just gotta find someone to run it.”

“How are you going to advertise?” Noah asked.

“No idea, I’m hoping my new manager can help me out.”

“I have an idea,” Noah grinned.

“What?”

“Let Ev and I throw a radio party.”

“Sorry?”

“We’ll do a DJ set and we can talk it up on our show, maybe have a contest for VIP or something.”

“My bar doesn’t really have VIP…”

“Well, it doesn’t have to be a VIP section,” Noah explained, “Maybe just… free drinks or something.”

“Okkk…”

“And you can get Roch to come,” Evan said, “And she can bring some celeb friends.”

“Guys, I love you, but this might be a bit much.”

“No Jess, it’s perfect,” Noah said, “You get the bar together and we’ll work on the party.”

“Ok fine,” I shrugged.

“Now let’s talk about last night,” Evan said, a frown on his face.

“Fucking hell guys, when are you going to get that I really don’t want to talk about it?” I moaned.

“When you realize that you’re being stubborn and obnoxious?” Noah asked.

“I’m not!”

“Jess,” Evan reasoned, “That poor guy realized his mistake about an hour too late.”

“No he didn’t,” I mumbled.

“He was running through the airport shouting your name!!” Evan said incredulously, “He clearly cares about you! He was devastated that you’d left and decided to wait for you to come home because he loves you! And now you’re finally back, he just wants to know where he stands and you’re being a horrible bitch!”

“He walked away Evan,” I said firmly, “He looked me in the eye and walked away. I can’t do it again.”

“Jess…”

“I’ve never felt so awful in my life,” I said, finishing my pint, “And I’m not letting it happen again. Aston can do whatever the hell he wants, but I honestly don’t think he can prove to me enough that he won’t hurt me again.”

The boys just sat and stared at me as I frowned, pushing my food away from me. I wasn’t hungry anymore.