Part Fifteen

Aston’s POV

“So Marv,” I said, “Now what card do I play?”

“Excuse me?”

“That Jess girl…” I sighed. For some reason I couldn’t get past everything that had happened with her. It was just so different than anything I’d ever dealt with.

“What about her?” Marvin asked.

“JJ reckons she’s out to sell a story. Why would she be so weird around me otherwise? You said that she didn’t even know who I was, but she’s friends with Roch!” I explained, “Surely she knows!”

“Hmm… I don’t know. She seems ok to me. I think Rochelle would be pretty angry if she sold a story, they’re pretty good friends.”

“How are they such good friends but she’s only just appeared in the last month?” I questioned, “What about the last few years? Your wedding?”

“She was abroad,” Marvin shrugged.

“Abroad?” I asked skeptically.

“I went to dinner with her and Roch and she kept apologizing for missing the wedding. She was in like South America or something and couldn’t afford a flight back. Not sure what she was up to though.”

“Ahaa!” I exclaimed, sticking to the one little detail that stuck out to me the most, “She couldn’t afford a flight! And now she needs money, hence the story…”

“Well she’s back now,” Marvin said with an eye roll, “And she’s obviously working. Try again Ast.”

“Still…”

“Why do you care so much? From what I’ve heard it was only a dance or two. It’s not like she’s anything to you.”

“But she refused to give me her number,” I pointed out.

“So?”

“No one does that to me,” I pouted.

“So this is more about the blow to your ego?”

“No!” I protested, even though it quite obviously was. Well and it was kinda that I liked that Jess girl. Maybe. A little bit. Its not like I actually knew her, we’d just kissed a bit and slept together. Twice. But still, I couldn’t deny that there was something about her. “It’s just that if she’s Rochelle’s friend, we’ll probably run into each other again, and I don’t know if you noticed, but today was super awkward.”

“I did notice,” Marvin smirked.

“Exactly, so this is kind of a mess.”

“Why don’t you just talk to her?” Marvin asked, “This is clearly getting blown out of proportion in your head and it might be best if you just speak to her. Clear things up and move on?”

“I guess…” I sighed.

“Just, go to her work or something,” Marvin shrugged, “Honestly Ast, this isn’t that big of a deal.”

“No you’re right, I’ll speak to her and then move on.”

“Wow, way to be a grown up mate,” he laughed, punching my shoulder lightly.

The thing was, I wasn’t opposed to going to her work, now that I knew where it was. It was just that I had no idea what I was going to say, and I didn’t trust myself to just wing it.

It took me the entire week to muster up the courage and the dignity to go to Jess’ office. It was weird that I was doing it on a Friday, but it needed to happen before my head exploded.

Sitting in my car across the street I watched people leave the radio station one by one, it was a blustery cold day in early January and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to tell Jess from everyone else if she was all bundled up.

But then I saw her come out with the two DJs from her show. Shit, I didn’t expect her to be with people. I had to do it though…