Part Forty-Two

Jess’ POV

“Having fun?” I asked Aston as I made my way over to him.

“Yes!” he grinned, taking a sip of his drink, “Will you let me introduce you to some people?”

“Sure,” I said with a faint smile, letting him grab my hand in his as he led me over to a group of people at a table across the dance floor. I could feel the nerves building in me as we went over, it was scary being introduced to people that meant a lot to him, because it probably meant something. Right?

After Aston rattled off a bunch of names, I was greeted kindly by the group.

“So you’re Jess…” one of the boys said, giving me a once over.

“Indeed I am,” I blushed.

“Aston she is way cuter than you give her credit for.”

“Excuse me?” I laughed, turning to Aston with a shocked look, “What did you tell them?!”

“JJ’s just causing trouble,” Aston defended, glaring at his friend to shut up as his fingers went around my waist in a protective manner.

I couldn’t help but giggle at their silent exchange and then the group of us got chatting again, eventually partaking in two rounds of flavored vodka shots to get the party really going.

“Let’s dance,” Aston said after a while, dragging me to the dance floor and wrapping his arms around my waist.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and fell into the beat, my nerves calming as I tuned out everyone else in the room, focused on the boy opposite me. Smiling faintly at him, I closed my eyes as I felt the rhythm, opening them to see Aston staring at me with a sexy smile on his face.

“What?”

“You’re doing it again…” he said in a sing-song voice.

“Doing what?”

“What you did at the salsa. Being too sexy for your own good,” he laughed.

“Whoops, sorry. Should I stop dancing? Or I can dance like an idiot?”

“I’m not complaining!” Aston said, pulling me slightly closer to him to make sure I kept dancing, “Just informing you!”

“Ohhh…” I said, rolling my eyes at him as the song changed to something slower and he pulled me even closer to him. My body was reacting to his closeness, and really all I wanted to do was draw his face closer to mine for a birthday kiss. But we still had that one pesky date to go and I couldn’t let myself give in!

We danced for a few songs, bantering about as we enjoyed each other’s company, and then we parted ways so Aston could mingle again.

“He’s making it damn hard for me tonight,” I said to Rochelle as I found her sitting in a booth with Marvin.

“Well, can you blame him?” she asked.

“No, it’s his birthday.”

“You’ve always been the one chasing the boys, and now that you’re making him chase you it’s cracking you a bit babe!” Rochelle laughed.

“It’s awful,” I laughed, leaning my head back on the booth and taking another sip of my drink. “What if I say screw the rules because it’s like a holiday?” I asked after a minute.

“I’m not playing this Jess,” Rochelle said, “This is you and your conscience.”

“Damnit.”

Rochelle sighed and rolled her eyes at me, beckoning the waitress over for another round of drinks. “You’re going to get yourself in trouble...”

“I’m the worst,” I replied, “Just going to pop to the toilets. Hopefully I can shake this feeling off!”

I jumped up from my seat and wandered to the back of the club, slipping into the toilets and doing what I had to do.

“Fancy seeing you here,” I heard whispered behind me as I pushed out of the toilets.

“Ast!” I said, startled when his hand fell gently to my waist from behind, “You scared me.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s ok,” I replied, twisting in his grip so I could look into his eyes, “Happy Birthday.”

“You’ve said that already.”

“I know.” He smiled softly at me as his hand stroked up my side and then back down. “I really want to give you a birthday kiss,” I added quietly, “But we’re so close.”

“It’s ok.”

“It’s not,” I sighed, “It’s not fair.”

“You can just owe me later if it really bothers you,” Aston grinned.

“Ast…”

“Sorry, no more jokes.”

“What if we make one tiny exception since its sort of a special occasion?” I asked with a smirk.

“Jess…”

“I’ve thought about it,” I continued, cutting him off, “Just one tiny kiss for your birthday can be ok. It’s not like we have well defined rules or anything. One can’t hurt, right?”

“You’re sure?” Aston asked, his hand pulling me towards him slowly.

“Positive,” I whispered, letting one of my hands trail up his chest and rest on his shoulder.

Without further warning, Aston closed the distance between us and pressed his lips against mine fiercely, taking my breath away. I felt my knees go positively weak, and my insides turn to jelly as his lips lingered against mine.

“Happy Birthday,” I mumbled again.

“You’re such a troublemaker,” Aston whispered, his breath tickling my face.

“I know. That was probably, maybe, not a good idea,” I said, pulling my head back as Aston held me close to him, “But it’s too late now.”

“If that’s the case, might as well go for one more,” Aston said, his lips catching mine again.

We parted ways after that, and I slipped back into the booth with Rochelle.

“What about your agreement?” she laughed as she made a kissy face at me.

“What agreement?” I smirked playfully, kicking myself internally for again making a not-so great decision. Oops.