Part Forty-One

Jess’ POV

“Do you really think this is going to be a surprise?” I asked Rochelle. The pair of us were sat together at the bar of the club in Camden, Aston’s friends mingling about as we waited for the boys to arrive.

“Marvin told me that Aston thinks it’s for an interview,” Rochelle said, “I think we’re in the clear. He should be texting any minute to say they’ve arrived.”

“If you say so…” I trailed off, taking a deep breath. It was my first time around Aston’s friends and I could tell I was getting a few looks. We hadn’t said anything about whatever we were to the press or really anyone, but we had been papped together when left the hibachi place at the beginning of the week. I wasn’t sure if these people were looking at me because of that, or because I was someone they just didn’t know.

“Boys are here!” Rochelle said loudly as a text came through on her phone.

“Let’s do this!” I grinned.

Together we jumped off our stools and collected everyone in a big group, a banner in some people’s hands that read ‘Happy Birthday Ast!’ on it.

“SURPRISE!!!” we screamed as the boys walked in. Aston’s face was a picture, and he ran around the room clearly buzzing as he realized that the party was for him.

“Gotcha!!” someone shouted, as the group started laughing.

“Thanks guys!” Aston laughed, his eyes scanning the crowd and catching mine almost instantly.

The music started and drinks were passed around to everyone as I stood off to the side, taking everything in. It was sure to be a good party, the vibe was excellent and everyone seemed ready to let things get a bit messy. I watched as Aston took it all in for a minute and then he shook his head lightly and turned to look back at me, making his way over slowly.

“Hi,” I said, smiling to Aston as he sidled over to me with a lopsided smile.

“Hey.”

“Happy Birthday!”

“I’m glad you’re here,” he grinned, pulling me in for a tight hug. I felt my body relax into his hold, happy that, of all the people in the club, I was the one he came to speak to first.

“I wouldn’t miss your birthday,” I said.

“Well don’t tell the others this, but I was planning a club night for the weekend to let go a bit,” Aston said, “And you were number one on my guest list. Actually, you were the only one I wanted on my guest list…”

“Aww…” I giggled, pinching his cheek lightly. To be honest I felt a wave of relief when he said that. I’d hated hearing that it was his birthday and he hadn’t said anything. It made me feel good to hear his words, like I was wanted.

“You’ll save me a few dances right?” Aston asked, “I need to mingle a bit and figure out who is to blame for all of this, but I definitely want to spend some time with you.”

“Course,” I said, “Before you go, I have a gift for you.”

“You didn’t need to,” Aston sighed. Ahh here it was again, what Noah and Evan were saying about boys not liking to make a big deal of their birthday.

“Nah, you’ll like it,” I said, passing him the thin package I’d shoved in my purse.

“What is it?”

“Open it.”

I watched as he tore the paper off the package, grinning when he looked down at what I’d given him. “A mix CD?”

“Yup.”

“I haven’t been given a mix CD since I was like 15. And never by a girl.”

“Well you can play it in your car when you’re stuck in traffic,” I said.

“And I’ll think of you,” Aston grinned, leaning in and kissing my cheek affectionately. “Mind hanging on to this for me for now? I haven’t really got anywhere to put it.”

“Course,” I said, taking it back and slipping it in my big clutch. “Now go say hi to your friends, I’m going to get a drink at the bar with Roch.”

“Promise you won’t punch anyone before I get to dance with you?” Aston laughed.

I swatted his cheek lightly, a grin on my face, “Nope. I can’t promise anything.”

“Awww my troublemaker,” he smiled, winking at me and walking off to greet some more friends.

“He looooves you,” Rochelle sang when I got over to her and slid onto a stool.

“Shut up.”

“Got you a drink,” she said, passing me some fruity cocktail.

“I’m not allowed to punch anyone,” I told Rochelle, “Aston said. So I can’t have a lot of these.”

“Jess, I’m sure you’ll find a way to get yourself in trouble tonight, even if you don’t have a lot to drink.”

“I better not, I’ve got work tomorrow!”

“I meant with that boy,” she said nodding her head towards the dance floor where Aston was stood chatting to two tall guys. I caught his eye as I looked over and he winked at me.

“Roch, I said we’ve got one more date to go….”

“It’s his birthday though!” she laughed, “You can’t deny him!”

“He’ll understand,” I sighed, twisting my glass around on the bar, “This means a lot to me.”

“I’m proud of you,” Rochelle said, “You’ve surprised me with how grown up you’ve been about all of this.”

“Well Aston and I didn’t really start out the best way,” I shrugged, finally spilling the truth, “And I wanted to prove that I can be more than just a one night stand.”

“One night stand?!?” Rochelle said, spitting out some of her drink.

“New Year’s…” I groaned.

“You didn’t tell me!!!”

“I couldn’t,” I said, “It was so awkward because he’s your friend and I felt like such a slag for doing it. And then we did it again…”

“AGAIN!? JESSICA REGO!”

“Do you understand where this whole, prove I’m not a total slut thing is all coming from now?” I muttered.

“You must really like him,” Rochelle said with a nod, “And he must really really like you to put up with your attempts to save face.”

“I can see this becoming something,” I shrugged, catching Aston’s eye again. He bit his lip gently and beckoned me over with a nod of his head.

“Go dance,” Rochelle said, pushing me off my stool as I grabbed my drink.

“Save me if it looks like I’m going to get myself into trouble.”

“We’ll see…” Rochelle winked, pushing me off towards Aston.