Part Eighty

Jess’ POV

“An intervention?” I repeated.

“Yes Jessica,” Noah replied, “We’re staging an intervention.”

“Whyyy?”

“We’ve lost control of you,” Noah said, “All over this stupid Aston thing.”

“Babe, we get that you’re a bit upset about it, but you can’t keep being so awful to him,” Rochelle added, “You’re destroying yourself.”

“Is this because of Thursday?” I asked.

The three of them looked at each other again. “Yes,” Evan sighed, “We’re just worried about you. You can’t keep being like this.”

“Guys…” I started, only to shut my mouth when Noah butted in.

“We know you’re in love with the guy, you’ve got to quit being so awful to him. He can help you find yourself again,” Noah explained, “We feel like we’ve lost you since you went to Thailand. Like, as your friends, there’s nothing we can do anymore.”

I sat and stared at my three best friends, a bit sad that it had come to this. “I’m sorry,” I sighed, “I didn’t want to hurt any of you.”

“We understand that you were hurt,” Noah said, “But you didn’t have to leave. We could have helped.”

“I know… It was just tunnel vision,” I explained, “I got an idea and I couldn’t let it go.”

“You do that a lot Jess.”

“I know,” I sighed.

“So we’re staging this intervention,” Rochelle declared, “We’re going to help you get back with Aston if it’s the last thing we do.”

I sat and stared at her for a second. If only she knew…

But I didn’t know how to break it to them that we were already back on good terms. Great terms. Someday getting married terms.

The door buzzer saved me from trying to stumble through an explanation. Still standing in the doorway of the house, my three friends at the table, I wandered over to the buzzer and pushed the talk button.

“Hello?”

“Hey babe, you left your phone in my car,” a voice said. Aston.

I could hear a gasp behind me. Rochelle probably. Or maybe Noah.

“Cool, I’ll come down and get it off you,” I said. I really didn’t want to do this right now. This whole intervention thing had me a bit off guard if I was honest.

“OH NO YOU DON’T!” a voice bellowed behind me. I turned to see Rochelle jumping up from her seat, physically pushing me away from the buzzer.

“You’re coming up,” she declared into the intercom, buzzing the door open.

I stood awkwardly, not sure what to say. No one said anything, but they had all sorts of facial expressions. Noah was smirking, Evan looked confused, and Rochelle looked like she’d been slapped upside the head.

“What the fuck Jess?”

“What?” I said, going to sit on the couch. Noah and Evan followed me into the lounge as Rochelle opened the front door to the flat.

“What’s going on?” Aston asked.

I turned to see Rochelle physically drag him into the apartment, sitting him down next to me on the couch.

“They’re staging an intervention,” I mumbled.

“A what?”

“Apparently it’s about time I stop being awful to you and sort my life out,” I said.

“Oh…” Aston said, turning to the others.

“What’s going on between you two?” Rochelle demanded, “Something is up.”

“Roch…” I started.

“What do you want to know?” Aston said, cutting me off. I turned to give him a look but he just shrugged.

“What is going on?”

“We talked,” Aston explained.

“And?”

“We’re on better terms,” he replied.

“What’s that mean?”

Aston turned to look at me, his eyes asking if he should say. I shook my head slightly. I wasn’t ready yet. I was scared of their reaction.

“We hung out last night.”

“Did you have sex?” Noah pipped in.

“Are you serious?” I asked him.

“Just curious.”

“No, we did not,” I said, firmly.

“This morning?”

“Fuck you Noah.”

“So you were at Aston’s this morning,” he grinned.

I sighed deeply, shaking my head from side to side. “You’re the worst.”

“So what happened?” Evan asked, “Last I heard you were locking his keys in his car.”

I knew I had to tell them, I really did, but I was so scared. I could feel the blood leaving my face.

“It’s ok,” Aston whispered, “You should tell them.”

“Tell them what?” Rochelle demanded.

“Umm… Aston asked me something last night,” I said.

“WHAT?!” Noah and Rochelle exclaimed at practically the same moment.

“To marry him,” I whispered, digging the ring out of my pocket and sliding it on.

“She said yes, obviously,” Aston added with a broad smile.

My three best friends all just stood there staring at us. It was like crickets, seriously. Calmly Aston leant nearer me, grabbing my hand in his own to show off the ring to the others.

“Are you fucking kidding me Jessica Rego?” Noah asked, finally breaking the silence.