Part Twenty-Seven

Aston’s POV

“I can’t,” she said, fear in her eyes as she stared at me.

“Oh, sorry,” I said dumbly, releasing her and taking a step back to put some distance between us.

I really couldn’t help myself when I was around her, and seeing her that morning with her hair falling out of its ponytail, her pajamas clinging to her body in the right places, I couldn’t resist making a move. It was probably a terrible idea but I did it anyways.

“I’m sorry,” Jess said to me after a quiet moment.

“You don’t need to be sorry,” I shrugged.

“I know, I just don’t want you to get the wrong idea about this.”
“What’s the wrong idea?” I asked, praying that she wasn’t going to say something about not being into me. I really wanted her to be as interested in me as I was her.

Jess rolled her eyes at me and then went to grab the kettle to make our cups of tea, busying herself for a minute.

“Tell me,” I said, pushing her to explain herself.

She let out a loud sigh and then turned towards me, passing me a steaming mug of tea. “I just don’t want you to think I’m a slag, that’s all.”
“Why would I think that?”

“Aston, no offense, but the first night we met I slept with you. The second night we went out, I slept with you. I’m trying really hard to not be that kind of person. I may have been like that at one point in my life, but now I’m trying to be an adult and not get myself into trouble.”
“So wait, you think I just want to sleep with you?” I asked.

“I don’t know…” Jess whined, “I just don’t want you to think I’m a slag.”
“Well I don’t think that.”

“Whatever,” she mumbled, “It’s just… Every time we’re together things go down that road. Fast.”

“So what are you saying?”
“Is this just about sex?” she asked me bluntly.
I stared at her for a second, trying to comprehend what she was saying. She didn’t want me to think she was just some girl that I could call up to sleep with? Fair enough, but it wasn’t like I viewed her like that anyways. I shook my head at her after a second, “You’ve got it wrong, I don’t think that. At all!”

“You probably do,” she sighed, “You probably think I’m easy.”

“You probably think I’m easy then,” I countered with a grin.

She rolled her eyes at me again, indicating that I was getting off the point.

“Jess, I’ve asked for your number like twenty times,” I said, “What can I do to prove to you that I’m interested in you for more than just sex?”
“Why would you be interested in me for more than sex?” she asked.

“You’re crazy,” I said, “Why would I keep insisting on taking you out for a meal if I didn’t think you were a cool girl? Jess, I legitimately want to get to know you.”

“Right,” she said skeptically.

“Like I said, what can I do to prove to you that I’m for real here?” I pleaded.

Jess stood and gave me a once over, clearly going through different ideas in her head. “Take me out on a real date,” she said carefully, “No staying over anywhere. Either of us.”

“Ok.”
“We have to do it a few times. No sex, no kissing, no nothing. Just you and me going out and getting to know each other. Nothing more than that.”

“Deal,” I said, holding out my hand for a handshake to seal it all. “Do I get your number now?”

“Nope,” Jess said, a smile finally appearing on her face as she shook my hand.

“But… How are we going to work this all out?”

“We’ll make the plan for the next date when we’re done with each date. It’ll be up to you to show up to the right place on time.”

“What if my work runs late or I get stuck in traffic or something?” I asked, sort of confused by this proposition. It seemed completely and utterly impractical.

“You can figure it out.”

“You’re really a piece of work,” I said, completely baffled by this girl.

“You’ve said that to me before.”

“And I mean it. In fact, I’ll probably say it to you again,” I told her, “So when do I get your number? Can’t I earn it or something?”

“Really? That’s what you want at the end of all of this?” she smirked.

“I told you Jess,” I said with exasperation, repeating myself for what felt like the hundredth time, “I’m interested in you for more than just sex.” I was beginning to think this girl had some sort of ulterior motive to wind me up and drive me insane, but still I was willing to agree to this ridiculous arrangement.

“Ok…” she said, “My lucky number is seven. If we can make it seven good dates without getting into any trouble, you can have my number.”

“Sounds like a plan,” I grinned.

“We’ll see you if you can make it.”

“Is that a challenge?” I asked.

“Oh most definitely,” Jess said with a smile.

“So date number one, we should probably make a plan huh?”

“Yup,” Jess said, sipping her tea and winking at me over her mug.

“Give me a few minutes to think of something,” I said.

“You know,” Jess told me as she started to dig around for some food in the fridge, “I probably won’t give you my number if every single date you take me on is just going for a meal.”

“Wow, you think I’m that lame?” I laughed, taking a packet of bacon from her and turning towards the stove to put it on.

“I don’t know…” she replied with a giggle, “I’m just saying.”

“I’m not that lame,” I declared, “Just wait!”

Now I just needed to come up with seven perfect dates to sweep this girl off her feet.