Chapter 18

After a week in Rocky Mountain it was time to go home to the North West Territories. Though I had missed my sister it was a relief to be going home. Our bags were packed; the plane was waiting to fly us out. Anthony and Marie saw us off in the foyer. She was looking so much better. Marie's smile was back, her body head healed but her neck would never loose the scar.

I held on to her for dear life, "If you want me to come when the baby is coming I will do the delivery." She nodded into my shoulder as she returned my hug, "I will let you know."

I leaned back and smiled at my sister, "I love you Marie. Take care of yourself. I am just a phone call away." She smiled at me and let a few tears fall down her face, "I can't thank you enough for all you have done for me. I love you so much, I wouldn't be here without you."

I pulled her close again, squeezing her tight again. A sudden fear of never being able to see her again shot through me. I knew it was irrational and likely false but it still hit me hard. I felt Clark rub my lower back, sensing my tension. I buried my face in the crook of Marie's neck and shed tears. She did the same. When we finally let go I turned to Clark. He and Anthony were staring at each other, both with their hands in their pockets unsmiling. They did not shake hands.

I crossed the room, taking a deep breath to gather my courage. I extended my hand to Anthony, he looked at me with huge eyes. "Goodbye Anthony. Take care of my sister and yourself. Until next time." He smiled broadly and shook my hand heartily, "Yes of course Charlotte. Thank you for coming!"

Clark nodded to Marie and Anthony, he placed his hand on the small of my back guiding me out the door. We walked to the car to take us to the air strip. Clark wrapped his arm around my shoulder, we were ready to go home.

By the time we landed at Black Lake I was exhausted. Once I stepped out of the plane I took a deep breath. The symphony of the woods and waters filled my whole body with an undeniable feeling of home. I had missed this place so much. Clark laughed at me as he loaded our luggage in the side by side. His brother Heath had come to pick us up. They embraced tightly, smacking each other on the back.

"It's good to be home." Clark grumbled, separating from Heath.

"Welcome back little brother. Char, it's great to have you back home." I hugged Heath tightly. "Thanks, it's great to be back."

"She's exhausted." Clark pipped up, I sighed and waved him off but I knew he was right. We drove back to the pack house. Supper was just being served when we walked in. A couple Omegas took our bags to our room while we joined the line for lasagna night. I took two pieces and found Michael, Melanie, Timothy and Tabitha. They rose and welcomed me back. Clark and Heath followed and joined the table as well.

"Oh my Char, you must be hungry." Tabitha teased as she looked at my plate. I giggled, "I guess I'm finally eating like a pregnant woman." The whole table erupted in laughter, I couldn't believe how good the garlic bread was. I stole Clark's right off his plate, he held up his fork like a sword when I started eyeing the rest of his plate. Melanie smiled and put her garlic bread on my plate, I smiled and mouthed 'thank you' to her. After supper we went to our room, I fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

The weeks flew by like minutes and before we knew it Heath's Alpha ceremony was just two days away. Cheryl, Melanie and I had been busy planning a wonderful evening. We had a wild bore flown in to roast for the occasion. The ceremony was a lot of reciting on Heath's and David's part, a small speech by Clark and myself followed by the pledge and the run. Heath had to pledge his life to the pack, to forever serve us all until his last breath. After that he would shift into his wolf, his Beta, Delta and Gamma would follow and lead the run of the rest of the pack around the territory.