Chapter 13

The summer crept up fast. There were a two more rogue sightings between May and the end of June. Clark and Timothy managed to capture one of them, but he died during interrogation. There was no more information as to the reasoning for these attacks on Ice Water. Thankfully, there were no more deaths this year. I also did a lot of foraging with Tabitha several times a week. I was trying to build up my collection of herbs to take with me to Ice Water for my druid training. Tabitha knew a lot of great spots for mushrooms, plants and herbs. We dried them in the kitchen, labeled them and organized them in my constantly growing pouch.

"I think I am going to recommend that you take druid training next." I told Tabitha one day, when we were making tea in the kitchen. She paused, staring at me with wide eyes.

"Are you serious?!" she shrieked, so excited. Tabitha jumped up and down, almost spilling her tea on the counter. I laughed out loud at her face, she was so happy, I had never seen it before. "Yes I am serious. You are a natural at herb gathering, mixing and creating. I think those of us who love it should learn it first, that way we can teach others later." I explained.

Tabitha starred at me with so much excitement, "It would be an honor to receive that training. I would be so grateful."

I remembered what Doris had said, about who would be allowed to receive the training. I took a deep breath before I told Tabitha, "There may be a catch though. The werebears will only offer their training to mated females who are permanently staying with Black Lake. If you went to the exhibition and found your mate you would not be able to receive the training. But I am going to teach you all I can on my own until you go next year. I think you should know it as much as I do. If you come back unmated, then I will ask the Alpha if you may receive the training next. We will see if they will make an exception."

She looked at me, concern on her face but then she smiled, "I would be honored to receive the training in any way. Thank you." She pulled me in and hugged me tight. I was so happy I made friends with Tabitha, she was a kind soul. I wanted her to be happy, even if that meant she got to become a druid with me instead of finding her mate.

I became a part of the fishing team of our pack house, going out twice a week to catch fish for the pack. I wasn't the best fisherman but I managed to catch three pike on my first week out. There were five of us on a team, all ranks and genders. We went to the nearby river to fish. I found the sound of the running water peaceful. The Omegas taught me how to cure and smoke the meat from the fish. I was planning on taking several pounds of it to Ice Water when I went for my training. I know that fish wasn't in the treaty, however it would be a nice offering to bring with me when I go.

As the end of June came, I was still pregnant. My stomach was starting to show a small bump. Rose had said I would loose the baby before I left for my training. I would leave in three days and I was still pregnant, I didn't understand how this could happen. I instinctively touched my stomach constantly. I could feel the fluttering of movements inside. I waited for my body to let go, but there it was. Growing every day, moving every moment. I was no longer filled with sadness and dread, I was filled instead with acceptance of the things I can not control. I enjoyed this life forming inside me, I loved this little heart beating along side mine. I knew all lives come to an end, some end before they start, I was in love with this life no matter how long or short it was going to be.

Clark came to me the night before I left for training, he set his hand on my stomach and breathed heavily. I stared at him as he nuzzled and kissed our child, it moved me that he would was just as in love with this life as I was. I ran my fingers through his hair as he kissed my stomach, pulling up my shirt, "What are you thinking about my love?"