Chapter 5

"Darling, wake up and kiss me goodbye." I heard a sweet whisper in my ear. My eyes were closed, I was sound asleep and I could feel my lips were dry. I snapped my mouth open and closed to gather some moisture, "What time is it, Clark?"

"A little past midnight. I shouldn't be found here by your parents. I am sure they would believe I was being inappropriate. I will talk with my father in the morning and arrange a meeting between our parents to make plans for us. I will see you in the morning my dearest." He nuzzled into my neck. I didn't want him to leave, I wanted to fall back to sleep with his scent filling my entire being. For the first time in my life, I didn't really care about the rules and expectations I just wanted him. However, Clark was right. My parents would not be pleased if they found us here sleeping next to each other, be it fully clothed. They had trusted us to be alone, I wanted to make sure we could continue to be alone throughout this exhibition until we arranged the move to Black Lake.

Clark stared down into my eyes from above me, he smiled broadly and kissed my forehead sweetly. I blushed, I wish I knew what to say in these intimate moments. "Alright, see you tomorrow." I whispered. He leaned down to my face, nuzzled my nose and kissed it lightly. I stroked his hair with my finger tips, searching his eyes as if to ask if it was all real. "Good night my darling," Clark mouthed against my lips, giving me one last passionate kiss before he crawled off the bed, slipped his shoes on and out my door.

I screamed into the pillow on the bed, it smelled like him, so sweet and delicious. I thought my heart might explode at any moment. I was so happy, how did any of this even happen. I crept out of the bed, took off my dress. Even though we didn't get to dance at the ball, I felt my dress had been a good luck charm all the same. As it hit the floor I reached for my sweatpants and t-shirt, pulled them on and hung the dress back up in the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and hair out. As I was about to pull it back I looked at my neck in the mirror and noticed the mark. Clark's mark. It was swollen and red, fresh. It hadn't been a dream, we had marked each other and by doing so promised to spend our lives together, to be partners, lovers, friends and confidants. It was an unbreakable bond.

I pulled my hair over my shoulder and braided it loosely. I was tired, it was time to sleep and let my body rest. I crawled back into the bed, turned out the light and went to sleep. I was sure I would have sweet dreams of him.

I was awoken some time later to my father yelling through the walls. My eyes shot open, at first I was sure they were yelling at me. I sat up with a shock and looked around. It was still dark out, I turned the light on and looked around, the clock next to the bed read 2:34 am. I got up quickly and opened the door between my room and my parents room, I rubbed my neck to work out the kinks of sleep and looked around.

My mother was sitting on their bed crying into her hands and my father was on his cell phone talking loudly with someone. I ran to my mother, kneeling down to her and placing my hands on her knees, "Mom, oh god, what is wrong?"

Her eyes rose to meet mine, she was sobbing uncontrollably. She wrapped her arms around my shoulders and wept into my hair. "Oh Char, she took off and we don't know where she is!" my mother managed to stutter out as she continued to weep. My eyes widened. Marie. What was happening?

I looked to my father, he was talking to someone on the phone and pacing around the room, not looking at us. I held my mother while she cried. There was nothing else I could do. My heart pounded in my chest as I waiting for my father to get off the phone. My mother couldn't talk; she didn't form words. I had never seen her like this before.