Chapter 16

I awoke the next morning to a knock at the door. I rose up in the bed, rubbing my eyes. The dawn was just breaking through the windows. I moved to the edge of the bed, stretching my tired muscles. Clark didn't even stir at the knocking; it was too soft to rouse him. I raised myself up and shuffled to the door, putting on my housecoat along the way. I quietly opened the door to see Rachel standing before me, "Hello, what can I do for you?" I asked her.

Rachel shuffled her feet, seemingly nervous. She raised her eyes slowly to make eye contact with me, "Alpha Anthony asked me to come and get you. The Luna is awake and asking for you." I smiled, "Thank you Rachel. I'll go straight away." She turned and left quickly. I got dressed, not bothering to shower. I kissed my mate goodbye, whispering in his ear, "Marie is asking for me my love. I'll be with her." Clark stirred slightly and kissed my face, rolling over onto my side of the bed. I giggled at him. I left quickly and made my way to Marie's room.

When I entered her room she was sitting up in bed. Her eyes were closed, but she was talking to Anthony who was laying next to her. He was still in his clothes; I could tell he had changed Marie's night gown at some point. Anthony rested his head on her shoulder, looking up at her face. It was endearing actually. "Good morning, you asked for me." I said, stepping into the room and closing the door behind me.

"Thank you Char, come here." Marie chocked out, her voice still not fulling returned. She gestured with her arms to come to her. I crossed the room quickly and pulled her into an embrace. Anthony leaned back, giving us some room. I breathed her in, trying to hold on to her as long as I could. She released me, I pushed her hair back on her neck to examine it. The welts were still persisting, red and angry. It hadn't occurred to me before, but Marie may never fully heal from the collaring. I went to my herb bag, grabbing a jar of salve and brought it back over to the bed.

"It is good to see you are getting your strength back. Have you got an appetite?" I asked. She nodded, I asked Anthony to call down for some breakfast for her. He nodded, going to the phone. I began to rub the salve into her neck. She didn't flinch this time, which was a great sign. "How are you feeling?" I asked her.

She opened her eyes, they were still red but they were starting to turn back to green. She managed a weak smile, "I am alright. Still in a lot of pain but I am much stronger now." I finished rubbing the salve in, "I'm not sure these wounds on your neck will ever fully go away my dear sister." Marie stared at me with sadness, "I know. If I would have been in wolf form they wouldn't be so stubborn, but because I was in human form the wounds went deeper."

I nodded, "Almost down to the bone." Anthony shuddered at my words. She looked up at me, pushing the covers off herself and stretching her back, "I am still weak but I'm feeling like I should move a bit. I need to go to the bathroom." I helped her up and to the bathroom, closing the door behind her.

Anthony got off the bed and smoothed his clothing. He was still in the same clothes as last night. He cleared his throat, "I ordered up breakfast for all three of us." I studied his face, not smiling, "Alright." Anthony smiled at me but I did not return it. I sucked in a deep breath before I told him, "Anthony, just because I want you to forgive yourself does not mean I am going to forget what you did. What you did is undeniably the cruelest thing I have ever heard an Alpha do to his Luna. I want you and Marie to move past it if you can, but don't think for a second that I will ever condone or understand what happened here."

He stared at me, lowering his head with shame. Anthony nodded, "I understand that Charlotte. I expected it actually. I am not going to pretend that I didn't do any of the things I did to my Luna." He paused, giving me time to soak up his words, "However, I do vow to you and your sister that I will never lay a hand in anger on Marie again. I will spend the rest of my life making up for the hurt I did to her, hoping one day she will forgive me."