Chapter 9

Michael wanted to stay behind at Black Lake for a few extra weeks after my parents went back. He was depressed and didn't want to be reminded of Stella and the loss of their bond all over again. Clark and I were happy to have him with us. We figured the time away from Red Rose and all the memories would be good for him. My mother offered to clear out Stella's things before Michael got back and send them to Regina for him. It was one less thing for him to deal with during his heartache.

Before she left, my mother gave me my grandma Daisy's recipe book. My mother had added her own recipes to it over the years, she said it was my turn now. In it were all kinds of mixtures of various herbs and plants to create different concoctions. Some for healing, medicine, energy, arousal, health, sleep and even power. I had always been interested in herbology but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I had. My mother gave me a big hug as she left, "Be sure to make Michael the tea everyday. His heart is healing; I can sense it." I nodded.

My parents flew back three days after our mating ceremony. I was still so thrilled they had made it. After they left I took Michael by the arm and walked with him to the library. He and I both selected books and spent the majority of the day reading. Amy brought some sandwiches for lunch, joining us for a while for some conversation. After she took the dishes out of the room, I opened the copy of Jane Eyre I had been reading when Michael took the book out of my hand.

"Thank you for letting me stay here Char. I need it right now." He said sadly. I smiled at him and nodded, "Of course. My home is your home."

"Do you believe in second chance mates?" he asked me.

"Well I wasn't sure I believed in mates in the first place before I met Clark. Now I believe whole heartedly. So yes, I believe in second chance mates." I told him with confidence.

Michael pondered my words and he bit his lip. He glanced back at me, "I wonder why it didn't take with Stella? The mate bond is supposed to be the strongest one in the world, yet mine was so weak it was barely a pull. It wasn't what I had be told my whole life it would be like."

I shrugged and adjusted myself under the blanket, "Clark and I were talking about this a few days ago actually. His father told him that the bond isn't the same for everyone. Some mates have to work a lot harder at their bond then others. Some never bond fully. Sometimes one side would bond and the other never would feel as strongly. He thinks to a certain extent it is just the luck of the draw."

Michael chuckled darkly, "You know, he might be right. My mate bond was very one sided, and it was horrible."

"I still don't understand why the moon Goddess would pair two wolves together if it wasn't going to take. It seems like a lot of heartache for nothing." I muttered. He smiled and gave me back my book, "I'm sure she has her reasons."

"Perhaps Stella wasn't your great love after all," I suggested, "perhaps the one you are supposed to spend your life with is just waiting for your heart to heal."

We didn't speak for a while, both thinking about what I had just said. I eventually picked my book back up and continued to read it. Michael seemed lost in thought, I let him be. Clark linked me asking where I was, I told him. Five minutes later he came in, freshly showered. He had been training warriors for the majority of the day, picking up extra sessions since we had been so busy with the ceremony. Clark came over to me on the sofa, leaned down and kissed my lips tenderly. He went to a shelf and took out a book, came back, lifted up my legs and sat beneath them on the sofa, adjusting the blanket to make sure it covered all three of us. Clark never said a word, he didn't have to, he just knew me and I knew him.