"Sorry.."

Lena only nodded back resetting herself to talk

"You are so guarded sweetheart? What you and Lauren have is beautiful? It's a transfer of energies and trust that will help you to learn that not everyone wants to disarm and hurt you?"

"So when she gets bored of me? When she finds some hot new girl that can give her more than I can? What then! Thrown back into the water like a fish!"

"The future is not something we can predict! What we can do however is enjoy the moment.. learn about her and figure out what she likes to do.. eat.. watch on the TV! Social skills Camila.."

Lena noticed the unfixable damage against Camila's heart many years ago, with her parents not wanting to care for her she was left finding families willing to instead.. many were kind at first, optimistic about having a new addition to their family before cluelessly riding out the honeymoon period to then hand notice in for her to leave.. she'd grow attached in the beginning.. make friends and consider the people family.. the more and more she was handed over the less she began to trust.. 'we'll look after you'.. 'we care about you'.. those phrases slowly began to mean nothing!

"She doesn't care about me Lena! She doesn't know me! Why would she care when she could have anyone she wants huh? Any girl any boy! She has billions in her bank account! She could literally buy a sex slave!"

"She will never care if you don't let her Karla.. never know you if you don't let her in.. maybe take down a few of those walls and allow her to have a piece of you, not all of you! Just a piece.. that way you can observe what she does with it.. decide if she's worth the rest?"

Camila paused to think about the statement, giving just a little piece of herself didn't seem so scary.. she thought maybe she'd choose the part she cared of the least, that way when Lauren broke it, it wouldn't hurt so bad..

"I'll think about it"

"Good! Now.. last thing! Have you spoken to your parents since you left?"

"No! My life has nothing to do with them now! That's it.. they can find out in the media or something I don't care!"

She cared.. Camila loved her parents, even when they'd push her away she'd always come back.. run away from care placements just to see if they'd let her stay, every single time Lena would come at their call and rip the girl from their arms.. she never understood why they didn't want her.. it made no sense at all! The day she turned 18 they agreed to house her, knowing no care placement would take her given the age.. she believed they really wanted her.. her father took an interest in her hobbies while her mom defended her behaviours.. it only took a few months for her to realise she was there with their greatest reluctance..

"Well I think that's unfair Camila! We have to give people chances yes?"

"I'd rather not! Living somewhere you know you're not wanted.. you run out of chances pretty quick!"

The girl mumbled stepping out from the diner booth deciding their conversation was over.. Lena never liked to push her, when she was done that was it! She folded her notebook back over placing it inside of her bag before following her out to stand against the dirty glass window.. they looked out upon the city.. admired the passing cars and faces with a silence that lasted a comfortable few moments

"I want you to separate your traumas Camila! Separate Lauren from all of those thoughts you have in your head! Think of her as a blank canvas and let her in for a few moments.. can you do that?"

"I said I'd think about it! I have to go.."

Lena nod back gently pulling the girl in for a hug before watching her walk across the street towards the large building that swallowed her up like an infant in a school.. she cared for the girl.. saw her as one of her favourites given the relationship they'd built.. even after all of this time, Camila never managed to heal..