Chapter Thirty Six : Achingly

Start from the beginning

"We'll be taking this much further but for now, that's everything I need to know. If you head over to the hospital tomorrow morning they'll have someone to do checks. I would like to take some photos of you now if you don't mind."

"Sure." David takes his case in his hand as she agrees. He leads the way out and she submissively follows. I go to say something to her. I don't know what I was going to say but she walks out before I even have the chance.

**

I hang around in the bedroom waiting to go back into bed. David left about twenty minutes ago after finishing up with Isabelle. She's currently in the bathroom. I think she's getting dressed which is odd because it isn't like her to hide away from me. I wriggle myself in bed and listen to the noises of her movement.

Eventually, she comes into the dim room, fully clothed. Her body is swamped in a pair of grey sweatpants and one of my hoodies. I assume she's trying to conceal her skin as much as possible. I give her a little smile even though she doesn't look at me.

She creeps up and carefully lowers herself in the space next to me, just her legs underneath the covers, her shoulders against the headboard. She flicks the light off, the slither of light from outside casting her out in highlights and shadows.

"Are you okay?" I whisper. It's a stupid question, I know.

"Yeah. I'm okay." She tells me. I know she's lying.

"You don't seem it." I return, propping myself up a little.

"I am." She answers bluntly but her voice remains soft. "Goodnight." She dismisses me which forces me to settle down into the sheets.

It's been ten minutes and sleep hasn't taken over yet. I'm so tired but so awake with everything that's happened tonight. With my eyes shut, I've been waiting for her to lay down.

Peeling them open through the dark, I see hers are glazed over but the cogs are still overworking in her brain. She's in a trance like state, still sat halfway up, her legs bent.

"Is." I murmur. "Why don't you lay down?"

"My back... hurts." There's a quietness between us as I figure out the best thing for me to say or do next.

"Do you want to lay on me?" Even though the darkness I can sense a short smile coming from her.

"No. Thanks though." The light catches the wetness of her cheeks. She's been silently crying.

"I'm worried ab-."

"I'm fine, really." Her voice cracks. "It's just been a lot."

"Do you not want to talk about it?" She goes silent and then finally looks down to me.

"You should go to sleep." She says, cutting me off with another faint smile. I don't believe it. I don't believe her.

I don't want to push so I roll over onto my opposite side, letting her have her space. All I want to do is hold her but she won't let me. I want to speak to her but she won't let me. She's not ready right now and I'm going to have to wait.

And I will wait for her. I've done it before, I'll do it again.

**

She's stayed quiet the whole drive to the hospital. She put the radio on to fill out the silence between us while she stared out the window so she didn't have to look at me. I have to drive a few laps around the parking lot before I find a space.

Getting out, I notice her movements are significantly slower and a lot more careful than before so I half jog around to her side to open the door for her, letting her out. She doesn't hold onto me for any support but she hobbles out.