Chapter 14

Things had changed between Kang Sujin and Han Seojun. They were way past enmity now. In fact, Seojun couldn't even remember the hate he used to have for her. They were also past the courteous co-existence they had sustained for a brief period where they acted polite and nice to one another which was more a sign of them being strangers than anything else.

Now Han Seojun and Kang Sujin really could say that they were friends. Hanging out together had become a weekly ritual. Almost always, it was prompted by something Jukyung or Suho did.

The night of Suho's and Jukyung's the engagement party, hosted by Suho's father, they went to karaoke to sing their hearts out. As expected, Seojun was the better singer. But Sujin wasn't exactly bad herself. Her song choices were about self-empowerment and having fun. Seojun chose soft, ballads that were clearly about Jukyung.

"One day, my songs will be on a karaoke machine too." Seojun had wished as they had walked back home.

"And then I will sing it." Sujin encouraged.

"And ruin it."

Sujin punched him in the shoulder.

The time Suho and Jukyung announced their wedding on Jukyung's channel, they went to an arcade. Of course, Sujin beat Seojun at every game.

"Ah-nee, how do you know how to play? All I ever saw you doing in school was study."

"Just accept it, Han Seojun. I'm better than you."

"At bragging maybe."

The time Jukyung got drunk and went around hugging Han Seojun thinking he was Suho, they went for a drive on his bike. Sujin had insisted that he teach her how to ride it.

"Aren't you afraid?" Seojun remebered how terrified Jukyung had been when she first rode with him.

"Why would I be?" Sujin asked, confused.

She took to the bike quickly and soon was riding them both around the city without Seojun's guidance.

"Not too bad, Kang Sujin." Seojun was impressed. Sujin grinned triumphantly.

As per their agreement, the two looked out for each other when they were with the group, making sure their feelings weren't too apparent. At the night of the engagement party, Sujin kept covering for Seojun when he didn't participate in conversations as much as he usually did. She would answer for him or change the subject. On the same night, Seojun had been the one to sneak Sujin away when she was on the verge of breaking into tears when the couple was cutting the cake. No one had noticed the two heart broken friends that night. All eyes had been on Jukyung and Suho.

On the same night that Jukyung had gotten drunk, Han Seojun had been the one to distract Suah when she kept pushing Sujin into dating a guy she knew from work. And on a separate occasion, when the group was out for dinner and had run into Suho's father, Seojun had kept a firm hand on Sujin's back when Lee Joheon spoke at length on how sad he was about her parents' divorce.

As uncanny as it seemed, it was undeniable. Han Seojun and Kang Sujin were friends now. Oddly enough, no one seemed to have picked up on their closeness, despite the fact that they never hid it from anyone. Sujin mentioned that Seojun had taught her how to ride his bike but the statement went unnoticed for its inclusion of Han Seojun. All Suah and Jukyung cared about was how dangerous it was to drive bikes.

"Han Seojun! Stop being a bad influence on Sujin!" Jukyung had scolded.

"What did I do? She's the one who wanted to learn. And she's not so innocent either. Just ask her about how she beat me in jiujitsu." Seojun had pointed a finger at her.

"You know Jiujitsu?" Suho had asked, ignoring the part about her beating Seojun.

"Yeah. We should spar sometime."

And so things went on and Jukyung's and Suho's wedding date inched closer and closer. But Sujin felt nothing had really changed about her feelings for Suho. She still pined after him and it annoyed her to no end.

"We should really get to the therapy part one of these days." Sujin casually said over a cup of coffee. This time, they had opted for a quiet meeting in a café.

Seojun considered her request. "What should we talk about?"

They both drew a blank, neither able to come up with a good starting point. Their feelings were so complicated and tangled that neither knew were to begin unraveling.

Sujin raised a hand, fingers spread out wide. "Five questions." She said, and with each word she lowered a finger, "Who, What, When, Where and Why." She said in English.

"What's that?"

"Its how you gather basic information. You ask yourself these questions." Sujin explained, translating in Korean, "Who is it? What is it? When was it? and Why was it?"

Seojun nodded. "Okay. You first."

"Hmm... We can skip the Who since we already know who it is. So, what is it that I like about Lee Suho? Hmm..." Sujin had to think for a minute.

The first thing that popped into her mind was her father. She and Suho both had troubled relationships with their fathers and at the time, Sujin had felt that Suho could understand her better because because of this. But she couldn't tell Han Seojun that. Having a dysfunctional family made her feel like a freak. She didn't need Han Seojun knowing about her private problems, even if they were friends.

So instead of the truth, she said, "He was cool,"

Seojun scoffed. "Kang Sujin were you that shallow?"

Sujin gave him a blank look. "It wasn't just that! It was... well, he was always cold to everyone else. But he still treated me better." Sujin looked at her hands, nervously playing with her thumbs. "I guess I liked how he was with me. And I liked that he wasn't shallow like most boys are. "

That answer seemed more acceptable to Seojun. "I don't think I can distill my feelings to just a couple of traits. I like everything about Lim Jukyung. The way she smiles, the way she ties up her hair, how kind and caring she is with everyone... she just has this warmth about her that just... draws you in."

"I know what you mean." Sujin agreed. But there was a little part of her that resented Seojun's compliments of Jukyung. Wasn't she kind and caring too? Didn't she have any warmth?

Probably not, her father's voice said. Sujin pushed it away.

"When did you first start liking Lee Suho?" Seojun asked.

Sujin thought for a minute. "I don't know. I just know that when I noticed I liked him, it felt like I had always felt that way. What about you? When did you start liking Jukyung?"

After a pause he replied, "When I started to get to know her. I can't say exactly when... But I noticed my heart would act weird after she started teasing me about my underwear–"

"Say what now? What underwear?" Sujin perked up. It was at this moment that Han Seojun knew, that he had messed up. He could feel himself get red in the face.

"It was nothing. What I meant was—"

"Nononono, no. Han Seojun, you're not getting out of this one. Tell me. What underwear?"

Seojun crossed his arms, "I'm not saying a word."

Their therapy session had ended there. Sujin tried again and again to get Seojun to reveal what the underwear incident was but he kept his silence. He would die before he ever told anyone about how Jukyung had seen him dancing around in his cheetah print underwear.

Han Seojun still experienced PTSD when he heard "Okey Dokey yo!" from anywhere.