The Question

The next week passed and me and Soda went on one other date. It was to the movies, but he couldn't sit still through it, so we left early. It was so much fun, we shared popcorn.

"Hey, uh, do you want to go out tonight? To the drive-in?" Soda whispered to me. Soda, Ponyboy, Steve, Two-Bit and I were all hanging around my room, like usual.

"Yeah, sure," I responded.

"Okay, great." He looked away with a slight smile on his face, making you smile as well.

We blared music in my room and danced around for about an hour before everyone slowly started to leave. Then, it was time for our date.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Yep," I answered.

We walked out of the house and climbed into Darry's truck. Soda drove down to the Nightly Double and rolled in. He parked so we could see the screen, and the movie slowly started playing. We both had our elbows resting on the armrest, slightly touching. I felt something touch my hand, so I looked down and Soda was trying to interlock our fingers. I grabbed his hand, blushing.

"Uh... Hazel?" Soda asked.

"Yes?" I asked, looking over at him. He rubbed the back of his neck, nervously. I noticed he was fidgeting a little more than usual.

"Will... uh, will you be my girlfriend?"

My heart immediately drops, in a good way. My eyes widen and my jaw falls a little. I never thought I would hear those words come out of Sodapop's mouth. I've liked him for so long and and never thought this would happen.

"Yes," I say, "yes, I will."

"Good," he said, smiling. He grabs my chin, tilting it up to face him and leans in for a kiss. I immediately kiss back, smiling into it. We let go and smile at each other, blushing.

We finish the movie, but I wasn't really focused on it. I was just thinking about what just happened. Sodapop Curtis just asked me to be his girlfriend, and I said yes. Soda is my boyfriend now. He's read the song, and he feels the same way about me. Or at least, that's what he says.

I have the feeling that someone is looking at me, so I look over to see Soda staring at me with a smirk. I smile back at him, wondering how long he was looking at me.

"How do you like the movie?" He asked.

"Oh, uh, it's really good," I answered. Honestly, I had no clue what was going on.

"Yeah? It's been over for 10 minutes," he says with a chuckle.

"What?" I asked, looking back at the screen. Sure enough, just credits were rolling. I guess I had zoned out and hadn't noticed the movie finished.

He drove me back home and dropped me off. Making sure I got inside safely, of course. He went back home, leaving me by myself once again. But it left me time to think about what happened. I still can't get over the fact that he is my boyfriend. I could not be happier at this point.

Soda, the boy that has girls chasing after him everywhere he goes is my boyfriend. The sweetest boy I've ever met, and the cutest. My best friend, has been for my entire life basically, is now my boyfriend.

Even though he could have every girl in the world, he still picks me.