Johnny's Breaking Point

"So, what's goin' on guys?" I asked a little later.

"Just went to see a movie, thought we would come here," Steve answered.

"What have y'all been up to?" Johnny asked me and Soda.

"Oh, uh, not much..." I answered, trying to hide my laughter.

"Yup," Soda agreed, "just hangin' around."

The rest of the afternoon was full of me and Soda locking eyes and then quickly looking away, listening to music, dancing, and talking.

"Ah, shoot!" Two-Bit cried, "I'm late for my date with Kathy."

"Second time this week," I mumbled, chuckling.

"I gotta go, guys! See y'all later!" He called, running out the door.

That left Ponyboy, Johnny, Steve, Soda and I. We played a few more songs, and then Steve announced that he had to go on a date with Evie. Steve and Evie had been going steady for about 2 months now, and I still haven't met her. I've always wanted to, the way Steve talks about her makes her seem like an angel.

Johnny and Soda said they were going to get a snack from the kitchen, leaving Pony and I alone. I was sitting on my bed, leaning against the headboard, and Pony was sitting in the corner of my room on the hanging chair.

As soon as they slammed the door shut, Pony leapt up and sat next to me. "What happened?" He asked, eagerly.

I giggled a little, and I knew my face was turning red. "Uh..."

"Come on, you said you'd tell me!"

"Yeah, yeah..." I mumbled. Honestly, I was still trying to think of what happened. It all happened so fast, and it was amazing. "Okay, so I'm going to tell you something, and you have to promise not to laugh at me."

"I dunno if I can make that promise," Pony said, chuckling.

"Shut your trap and just say that you promise," I ordered.

"Fine. I promise," he said, sarcastically putting his hand in the air.

"Thank you. Um, so... I--I kind of wrote a song. About Soda," I whispered.

"What? Let me hear it!"

"No!" I shouted, "um, anyway, he kind of... found it. The lyrics, I mean."

"What? No way! What did he say?"

"Well, uh... he said he would do the same for me if he could write a song," I told him, blushing.

"Awww," Pony teased.

"Um... then, uh, we... kissed." I was well aware that my face was bright red at this point.

"WHAT!?!" Pony shouted, "oh my gosh! That's so amazing! You and my brother are going to be an amazing couple."

"We're not a couple, Pony."

"You will be, though. You just haven't had enough time to talk."

"Yeah yeah," I mumbled.

"You really kissed?" He asked.

"Twice," I told him.

"TWICE!?!"

Then the door flew open, and in walked Soda and Johnny with bags of potato chips in their hands.

"Golly, Hazel. You look like a tomato," Johnny pointed out.

"Oh shut your trap, Johnny!" I shouted.

Johnny laughed and took Ponyboy's old spot on the hanging chair. Pony got up and started to tackle Johnny onto the floor for the chair. I giggled, and Soda sat down next to me on the bed.

"Hey," he whispered.

"Hey," I said back.

"Chip?" He asked, handing me the bag.

"Sure, thanks." I grabbed a potato chip and shoved it into my mouth.

We sat in silence, while Johnny and Ponyboy talked about a movie they saw last weekend.

"Hey, uh, do you wanna... talk?" Soda asked a few minutes later.

I looked over at him and we made eye contact for a few seconds. I quickly broke it and nodded a little, looking down at the floor. "Sure," I answered.

"Uh, we'll be in the living room," Sodapop announced and we walked into the living room.

Soda sat down on the couch, and I plopped down next to him. We both sat facing each other, with nervous looks on our faces.

"Um, thanks," Soda blurted out.

I looked over at him, making eye contact. "Huh? For what?"

"For the song. It--it was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me," he said.

I smiled at him, butterflies fluttering around my stomach. I didn't know what to say, no one has ever said anything like that before. "Oh, uh... you're welcome, I guess. It's not even done."

"I feel the same way, Hazel. And I have for a long time," he told me.

I blushed and looked down at the floor. I was so happy that he felt the same way that I did. I felt his hand on my chin, and he tilted my head up to face him. He put his hand on my cheek and he leaned in closer to me. He pushed his lips up against mine, softly. He put his other hand on my back, still kissing me. He pulled away, and I could feel my face get hot.

"Your face is a little red there," Soda said, chuckling.

I smiled really big and giggled. "Yeah... sorry."

"Wow," I heard from behind us. I saw Ponyboy and Johnny standing there, smirking. Ponyboy was laughing a little, and Johnny was standing there in awe.

"Umm... hey," I mumbled to them.

"Hey," Ponyboy said through fits of laughter.

"Oh shut your trap, Pony!" I shouted, throwing a pillow at him.

"Uh, well I better go," Soda said, standing up. "I'm meeting Steve for a movie after his date. Sorry, Hazel, I would invite you, but Steve said he wants it to be just us."

"Oh, it's fine. Uh, b-bye," I called.

"Bye," he said back with a smile.

I looked back at Johnny and Pony, who were still standing there.

"How much did you see?" I asked as they walked over to the couch.

"Well, we walked in while you two were sucking on each other's faces," Ponyboy said.

"Stop it!" I squealed, blushing.

"So, how long have you two been goin' steady?" Johnny asked, coldly.

"Oh, uh, we aren't," I said with a shrug.

"You aren't? Then why the hell were you two making out on the couch, huh?" Johnny shouted, standing up.

I was shocked by Johnny yelling at me. He's always so shy and quiet, he never yells. "We weren't making out. And we aren't going steady, Johnny. Really. Nothing has happened, I--I would've told you if we were a thing."

"Nothing has happened? I just saw you two kissing and it didn't look like the first time!"

"Why are you so mad? I--I just don't know why you're mad," I whispered.

He gave me an intense glare and then stormed out of my house. I looked at Pony who was sitting on the couch, quietly.

"What was that?" I asked, confused.

Pony gave me a look like I was supposed to know why Johnny was so upset. "He's got the hots for you, Hazel."

"What?" I snapped. Johnny liking me? There's no way that Johnny likes me.

"Why do you think he got so mad that you're with another guy? He's jealous."

I sat there, speechless, taking it all in. I feel bad and stupid for not realizing it earlier. I have to talk to him.