Rock 'N' Rodent

I woke up to the smell of sizzling bacon and pancakes. I opened my eyes and realized I was in the Curtis house. Well of course I was, who would make pancakes at my house? Soda wasn't laying on the other couch, and I frowned a little. I stood up and walked to the kitchen and saw Ponyboy cooking breakfast.

"Good morning!" He called, flipping a piece of bacon.

"Morning," I mumbled, sitting at the table.

"How'd you sleep?" Ponyboy asked, sweetly.

"Pretty good. How about you?"

He stopped and I saw him swallow hard. He hesitated before he answered. "Yeah, I slept fine," he mumbled.

"Did you have a nightmare?" I asked, remembering that's why he shared a bed with Soda.

He nodded, "yeah, but I'm okay."

"Are you sure? Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Not really. I'm alright, though, I promise," he assured me.

"Okay. Well, I'm here if you wanna talk."

"I know," he said, setting a plate of pancakes down on the table.

"Where's Superman and Soda?" I asked him.

"Darry went to work and Soda is in our room," he answered, pointing his spatula at his door.

I nodded and bit into a piece of bacon. I walked into their room, knocking first, in case he was changing.

"Mornin'," Soda said to me, smiling.

"Mornin'," I repeated, returning the smile, "can I borrow some clothes?"

"'Course. Help yourself, there's a container in my closet of old clothes."

"Thanks," I said, walking over to his closet. I grabbed a white T-shirt and jeans. I walked to the bathroom and changed. I walked back out to see Soda sitting at the table, and I sat down next to him.

"Man, it's so boring in here," Sodapop whined, "let's put on some music!"

"Yes!" I exclaimed. He knew I loved music.

"What's your favorite song right now? I know it changes every week, I can never keep track."

"Hmm... probably Unchained Melody."

"Oh, I love the Beatles!"

"Uh... it's the Righteous Brothers, but okay," I said, laughing.

"Oh same thing." He leapt up and played a random record, placing the needle on the record. He danced around the living room, careless to who was watching. I laughed, nibbling on a piece of bacon. He came and sat back down next to me, staring into my eyes. Butterflies flew around my stomach, but the dramatic moment ended when Ponyboy slammed a plate down on the table.

We ate our breakfast quickly, while jamming out to songs on the record player.

"Oh, shoot! I'm late for school!" Ponyboy called, checking the clock. He threw his bacon down on his plate and grabbed his backpack. "Bye guys!" He shouted, running out the door.

"Well..." Soda said, leaping up from his chair, "guess it's just me and you."

What does he mean by that?

"Yep. When do you have to get to work?" I asked, nervously.

"There never is anyone on Mondays at this time, so boss lets me come in late." Soda strutted over to the couch and sprawled out.

"Ah, nice." I said, sitting down next to him.

"Yep." He got up and changed the channel on the television. It was some cartoon movie, that he seemed to love, because he started bouncing up and down. "I LOVE this movie!!!" He shouted.

"What is this?" I asked, laughing.

"Rock 'N' Rodent!" He exclaimed, still jumping.

"What?"

"This used to be my FAVORITE movie!!!"

"I think you're the only one who's ever seen this, Sodapop," I said, shaking my head.

Then, the door burst open and Two-Bit came running into the room. He was wearing a green Mickey Mouse shirt and blue jeans, what he wears every day.

"Is this Rock 'N' Rodent!?!" Two-Bit shouted.

"Yes! See, it's not just me who likes this movie!"

"No way! I love this movie!" Two-Bit exclaimed.

I sat there, speechless, at the immaturity of my friends. I shook my head and walked into the kitchen to clean up breakfast.