My Song

Somehow, Soda had found my paper. I swear, it was locked up in the false bottom. How did he spot that? A million thoughts rushed around my head. What am I going to do? Does he think I'm a creep? Does he like it? Why isn't he saying anything? Is this going to ruin everything between us? Well, of course it is, idiot, do something! I told myself.

"W--What..." Soda stammered, his voice trailing off.

"I--I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Is this about... me?" He asked, nervously.

I licked my lips and looked away. "Um..."

I really wanted to sass him and say, "it only says your name a hundred times," but words wouldn't come out. I just sat there, looking like an idiot.

His eyes kept skimming the paper over and over again. I would kill to know what he is thinking right now.

His eyes finally floated off the paper and he looked at me, confused as ever. He had his head cocked to the side, and his eyes were squinted slightly. I swallowed hard. I wanted to crawl in a hole and disappear.

He looked at me and started laughing. I was confused at first, but then started laughing with him. After we stopped laughing, we finally calmed down.

"So... this song--you really wrote it about me?" Soda asked.

I felt my face turn red and I looked down. "Yeah..."

"God, I would've done that for you if I could write a song," he mumbled.

So... he likes me too?

"Wait... so, you--you... like me too?" I asked, full of hope.

He smiled at me, and we made eye contact. "Who wouldn't?" He asked with a chuckle.

I had an uncontrollable smile spread across my face. Butterflies fluttered around my stomach. I had never felt happier. He smiled at me too, both of us sitting on my bed smiling at each other.

Then, he got up close to me and put his hand on my face. He leaned in and kissed me, passionately. I was shocked at first, but then kissed back.

He leaned back, his hand still on my cheek. We both looked at each other, smiles on our faces. Then, Sodapop's smile became more of a smirk.

"Sing me your song," Soda demanded.

"No way!" I argued, laughing.

"Why not? It's cute," he said, smiling.

I blushed and giggled a little, looking away. "Fine," I gave up, sighing.

He did a cute little clap and sat on the edge of the bed, his hand propping up his head. I walked across the room and grabbed my guitar. I sat down and took a deep breath in. I was actually going to sing the song to him.

"He has every girl in the world, why would he chose me?" I sang. That was the chorus, and so far, that was the ending line. I still needed another 2 verses of the song.

I finally looked up at him, nervous to see his reaction. He was sitting on my bed, smiling at me. His eyes looked a little watery, like he was going to cry. I set my guitar down and walked over to him, blushing. My face was burning and my cheeks were flushed. I sat down next to him and looked him in the eyes, scared to what was going to happen next.

"Why wouldn't I pick you? I've never cared about any other girl in the world besides you," Soda said.

"Really?" I couldn't believe Soda felt the same way.

"Yes, really. Look at you, Hazel! You're beautiful, smart, cool, funny..." he said, grabbing my chin and tilting it up.

He leaned in and we kissed again. He still had his hand under my chin, and he put his other hand on my back. He let go, and smiled at me.

"How long have you been writing that song?" Soda asked me, chuckling.

"About a year now," I mumbled.

"Really? When were you going to tell me?"

"Uh... I was planning on never."

"Never?"

"Well when were you going to tell me that you liked me?" I interrogated.

"Uh... well, maybe sometime?" He guessed.

I smiled at him, giggling.

"So you actually did write a song about me?" Soda asked, cocky.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, sarcastically. "Yeah, I guess so..."

"It was really good. I like it a lot," he said, smiling.

I blushed, "yeah?"

"You know what else I like a lot?"

"Hm?" I asked.

"Chocolate cake," he whispered.

"Oh my gosh," I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

"I guess I like you too though."

I scoffed a little, jokingly.

He put his hands around my waist, bringing me in closer. I put my arms around his neck, leaning in closer to him. I still had butterflies in my stomach, and they got worse every inch I scooted closer to him. I still couldn't believe he liked me back. Now, I'm really glad he found my song.

We leaned in again, about to kiss, but the door burst open. I flew backwards, away from Soda, and he smoothed back his hair, trying to act like nothing had happened. But, Two-Bit was sitting there in the doorway, a smirk on his face.

"Sorry, am I interrupting something?" Two-Bit teased, smirking.

"Uh, no, no--uh, you're fine..." I stammered, smoothing my hair out.

I heard Soda chuckle a little, and I shot him a dirty look. Two-Bit laughed and sat down on my hanging chair, his favorite spot.

"So... what were y'all doing? Or do I not want to know?" Two-Bit asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"Uh... nothing--nothing..." I answered.

Then, Soda burst out laughing. He was laughing so hard, and I was trying really hard to keep a straight face. I put my hand over my mouth to try to contain my laughter, but it didn't work.

Two-Bit was sitting there, staring at us cracking up. For once, it was the other way around. Usually, Two-Bit was dying of laughter and we were watching him, confused.

We finally calmed down, and Ponyboy, Johnny, and Steve barged in. They piled in the room and started messing around with things. I glared at Two-Bit, who was still smirking. I shot him a look and shook my head a little, trying to signal for him not to tell them what happened. Two-Bit looked at me and shrugged, rolling his eyes.

Ponyboy walked away from Steve and Johnny, who were messing around with my keyboard. He sat down next to me on my bed. Soda got up and walked over to Steve, and started talking with him.

"How'd it go?" Pony teased, chuckling, "did my plan work?" If only he knew.

"It went good. Really good," I answered, smiling.

I don't think he was expecting that answer, "really? What happened?"

"Uh..." I hesitated. I looked down, blushing, and looked over at Soda. He was laughing and joking around with Steve. He looked at me and stopped laughing for a second. He smiled at me and winked, making me giggle.

"Hazel, what happened?"

"It's a long story," I replied, "I'll tell you later. I promise."

"Oh, fine," Pony sighed.