Greaser Greaser Greaser

I walked up my porch steps, and leaned down to pick up the key that was under the mat. I know, it's so cliche to put the key under the mat, but I don't care.

I unlocked the house and walked in. I walked over and flopped down on my bed. I laid like that for a few minutes, my head buried into my comforter. I walked over to my dresser and grabbed my Sodapop song lyrics. I walked over to my guitar and picked it up. I took a deep breath in and sang through my song. It was nowhere near done, I barely had half finished. It sounded pretty good, but it still could be a lot better.

I locked the song up after running through it 3 times and picked up another song sheet I had. It was a song about being a Greaser and what it was like. I started writing it, but there wasn't enough words that rhymed with 'greaser.'

I strummed the notes on my guitar and lightly sang the words. Then, my door burst open and Ponyboy walked in.

"Hey!" I called, setting my guitar down.

"Hey, Hazel. I need some advice," he said, sitting down on my bed.

"Oh no, what did you do?" I asked.

"No, I didn't do anything! Yet. I dunno... can you just help me?"

"Sure, kid," I answered, sitting down next to him.

"So, um, there's this girl... that I really like," he explained, blushing.

"Ooooh," I teased.

"Oh shut it!" He said, jokingly.

"Do I know her?"

"No, she goes to my school."

"So, what do I need to give you advice on?"

"Well, I mean, I dunno... I want to ask her out, but..." his voice trailed off.

"What? Why can't you ask her out?"

"She's a Soc," he whispered.

"Oh," I mumbled. That's another thing about being a Greaser. If you have a crush on a Soc, forget it.

"Yeah. She's perfect. She's pretty, she's a cheerleader, she's sweet, but she's a Soc."

"Well, Pony. I would give it a shot. I mean, if she's single and sweet... she seems great. Any girl would be lucky to go out with you," I told him, giving him a side hug.

He smiled at me, "thanks, Hazel."

"Of course, Pone," I said, returning the smile.

"So... you got a thing for anyone?" Ponyboy asked, smirking at me.

I felt my face get red. "No," I answered.

He gave me a disapproving look, he knew I was lying.

"Well... maybe," I said, blushing. I looked down and giggled a little bit.

"You can tell me!"

Then, the door flew open and Sodapop came running in. I immediately closed my mouth and got off the bed. I headed towards my guitar, trying not to be suspicious. Obviously, that didn't work, because I glanced at Ponyboy, and his eyes got wide and he looked at Soda. I rolled my eyes and looked away, giggling.

"Hey y'all!" Sodapop shouted.

"Hey!" I called back, picking up my guitar.

"So, Hazel... you write a song about me yet?" He asked.

My head immediately shot up, and I looked at him. He was sitting in front of me on the ground, and he had a goofy smile on his face. I just rolled my eyes and looked away.

"No," I answered.

"Why not?"

"Why should I?" I asked, jokingly.

"But why shouldn't you?"

"Oh my Gosh..." I mumbled, giggling. I strummed the notes of my song about Soda quietly, humming the tune.

"That sounds good, what is it?" Soda asked.

"Oh, uh, it's just something I made up..." I stammered.

"Oh okay. I'm gonna get somethin' to eat. Your mom go shopping?"

"You know she didn't," I mumbled.

He shrugged and ran into the kitchen. Ponyboy immediately ran up to me and started attacking me with questions.

"Oh my gosh, do you like Soda? Does he know? How long have you liked him? Are you guys a thing?"

"Golly, Ponyboy, take a breath!"

"But, you do like him, right?" He asked, quietly.

I hesitated, and looked at him. I rolled my eyes a little, "yeah..." I mumbled, blushing. My ears were burning and I felt my face turn bright red.

"Oh my gosh! You guys would be the cutest couple! Or are you a couple?"

Then, Sodapop walked in and I cleared my throat and moved away from Pony a little.

"Who would make a great couple?" Sodapop asked, shoving a few potato chips in his mouth.

"Oh--uh, no one..." I lied.

"Oh, alright," he sat down on the ground next to us.

"Oh, hey, uh I forgot I was gonna meet Johnny for a movie. It starts in a few minutes, so I'm gonna go. You guys have fun!" Pony called, giving me a smirk on the way out.

I sighed and shook my head.

"Bye, Pony! Stay safe!" Sodapop shouted after him.

I sat there in silence, fidgeting with my hands.

"So, what do you wanna do?" Soda asked me.

"Hm? Oh, uh, I dunno..."

"You should write a song," he ordered.

"It's not that easy, trust me," I told him, chuckling.

"Just try," he said.

I sighed. "Oh, alright. Get me a pencil, will ya?" I asked, grabbing my guitar and hopping onto my bed. I started strumming a few notes, trying to find a good rhythm. I heard Soda searching in my dresser drawers for a pencil.

"Uh... what's this?" Soda asked.

I turned my head around to face him. He was standing there, holding a piece of paper. I looked closer, and it was my song about him.