Blushing

I never thought the day would come, but it finally did. MY DATE WITH SODAPOP!!!

I've been waiting for this day for years. I never thought it would actually happen, obviously. I never in my entire life would think that Soda would like me back. I can't stop thinking about him and what happened when he said he liked me back.

My eyes drifted open and I leapt out of bed. I trotted over to my closet and picked out a pair of jeans and a white T-shirt. I tucked it in and ran to the bathroom to do my makeup and brush my teeth and my hair. I walked to my kitchen and poured a bowl of cereal. I noticed a note on the counter by the cabinet. My eyes scanned the paper and I just scoffed. 'Sorry, honey. I won't be home tonight, I have a date! Love, Mom.'

She's never home. She usually does that when she plans on being out all night. I'm pretty much used to living alone. I never see my mom anyway. She's a bartender and she works at night and usually doesn't get back until early in the morning. That is if she does come home.

Don't get me wrong, I love my mom. But, she's never home and I never really get to see her. I used to be really close to her, but then my dad left when I was around 10. She had to do double shifts and work at the local bar. Ever since then, she's been too busy to even see me. We're not super poor, but we sure aren't rich and I understand that. We have a nice house, not the nicest on the block, but it's pretty big.

I walked back into my room and slammed the door. I sat down at my desk and decided to write a short song about my feelings. I scribbled some words down, trying to make it sound nice. I hummed a beat and strummed a little on my guitar. I started to like it, and I rehearsed it quietly.

Then, my door burst open and Ponyboy came sprinting into the room. He plopped down onto my bed next to my desk, and gave me a smirk.

"Jesus Christ, Ponyboy! You scared the living daylights out of me!" I muttered.

He giggled, "sorry."

"What are you doing here? Don't you have school?" I asked him.

That's another thing me and Sodapop have in common; we're dropouts. I was failing a lot of my classes because I kept getting distracted. I have really bad ADHD and ADD, so it's really hard to focus on things. I'm really ashamed of being a dropout, so I don't really talk about it.

"They have parent-teacher conferences today. Aaannnyywaayyy," he explained, dragging out the 'anyway'.

I gave him a confused look and cocked one eyebrow up and left one down, something Two-Bit taught me.

"I heard about your date," he confessed.

I could feel my face turn red and I looked down at my feet. "He told you?"

"Oh yeah. Couldn't stop talking on and on about you all night," he said with a smile.

My face was burning hot and I could tell it was bright red by now. I decided to look at Pony and give him a smile. "What did he say?" I asked, intrigued.

"He was talking about how cute you are and how nice and pretty and funny you are," he said.

"He did not say that," I argued, my face still red.

"Oh yes he did."

I started laughing, and Pony joined in on the laughter. We finally calmed down and he turned to me, more serious this time. "What are you writing?" He asked.

"Oh, just a song," I mumbled. I don't really share my songs with other people, even if they're my best friends. I'll sing in front of the gang and be crazy, but I never have really shown any songs that I've written to any of them. They know I write them, I just don't share much.

"Can I hear it?"

"No," I said, quickly.

"Why not? What's it about?"

"Uh... nothing," I lied. I couldn't tell him that it's another song about his brother. I grabbed the paper and tried to hide it.

"Hazel..." he scolded, "what is it about?"

I giggled a little and he jumped up and ripped the paper out of my hand.

"No!" I shouted, trying to grab the paper. Pony was taller than me, so I really had no chance of getting it. He started laughing, which made me giggle a little, even though I was still mad. I sighed and sat down on my bed, giving up. He read the paper, smirking. His eyes quickly scanned the paper, and an evil smile spread across his face.

"Ah, so you like him a lot don't you?" He asked me, smirking.

"Shut up," I mumbled, blushing.

"Ooh, you're blushing!"

That made my face get even redder, and I looked down, trying to hide my bright red face. He laughed and gave me the piece of paper.

"I like it," he told me.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," he said, sitting down next to me.

"Want to go to the Dingo? I'm getting pretty hungry," I admitted.

"Sure," Ponyboy answered.

We got up and walked outside, and headed to the Dingo. We walked into the diner and slid into a booth. I grabbed a menu and started flipping through it. I decided to get a cheeseburger and I ordered when the waitress came.

"So, are you excited for your date?" Ponyboy teased, smirking.

I felt my face turn red and I looked down. "Yes," I answered, blushing.

"What are you going to wear?" He asked with a smile.

"I dunno," I answered.

Ponyboy flashed me a disapproving look. "Sure. I know you've been planning it out since he asked you."

I blushed, a smile appearing across my face. He was right.

"Here's your cheeseburger," the waitress said, setting the plate down in front of me. She gave Ponyboy his food and then walked back into the kitchen.

We ate our food quickly and then we decided to go back to my house. We went to my room, Steve and Two-Bit already there.

"Hey guys," I said, walking in.

"Hey Hazel, hey Pony," Two-Bit answered.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"It's 3:15," Steve answered.

"Why? Got a date or somethin'?" Two asked, laughing. Steve laughed along with him, while Pony and I just stayed quiet.

"Yeah, actually, I do," I said.

"What? Really? With who?" Two-Bit asked, alarmed.

I hesitated, not knowing if I should tell them. I could feel my face turn pink a little, so I looked down, trying not to blush. "Uh... Soda," I whispered.

"WHAT!?!" Two-Bit and Steve exclaimed, surprised.

I looked down and sat down on my bed. I felt my face turn a bright red color. Ponyboy noticed too, and chuckled a little.

"Yeah," I mumbled, smiling.

"He asked you out?" Steve asked, looking me up and down.

"Yes, Steve, he did."

"Oh," he mumbled, chuckling.

"So y'all are a thing now?" Two-Bit asked, smirking.

"No," I answered, quickly.

"Not yet," Ponyboy added.

"Oh, shut your trap," I muttered, blushing. He chuckled and we sat around chatting for about an hour. We played music and hung around for a while.