38 - Anne Likes Parties

Začať od začiatku

"You know, this could be considered defacing government property," Rebecca muttered, glancing around nervously.

"Is the Jumbotron even government property?" Leo asked without pausing his work.

"If it's not government property, it's public property, and I'm pretty sure that's still illegal."

"If it's public property, then--" a wire sparked, and they both jumped. "Sorry. If it's public property, then I'm sure nobody will mind."

"I don't know why I let you do stuff like this."

"Because deep down, you know you love me."

Rebecca, much to Leo's delight, didn't deny it. "Just be quiet and hurry up before we get caught and arrested."

He finished not long after that -- mortal technology was a lot easier to manipulate than the engine of the Argo II -- and they returned to where Piper, Jason, and Anne were standing.

"Where did you guys go?" Piper asked.

"Bathroom," Leo said before Rebecca could rat him out. He shot Rebecca a look meant to discourage her from saying anything, but she rolled her eyes and looked up at the stage again, where Ludacris was performing "Stand Up."

Any moment now...

The Jumbotron flickered off, and there was a collective gasp. Cameras turned excitedly to the black screen and reporters started chattering fervently about malfunctions. Then, suddenly, the screen lit up again, but this time, the revolving words at the bottom of the screen read "ALL THE LADIES LUV LEO."

Anne howled with laughter as both Rebecca and Piper punched Leo in the arm accusingly. Jason sighed and shook his head, but he was smiling all the same.

The Jumbotron, it seemed, could not be fixed. Leo's message was to light up the screen for the rest of the night.

"I still cannot believe you did that!" Anne shrieked with laughter.

"I still can't believe I let you," Rebecca grumbled. "Leo Valdez, you are a terrible influence."

Leo was laughing right along with Anne. It was obvious he thought he was a genius.

To be fair, he was, but it still hadn't stopped the responsible ones (Piper, Jason, and Rebecca) from rushing them out of there. They'd decided they had to get out of there before someone found the Leo whom all the ladies supposedly loved. It wouldn't have been super hard, either, because they'd been right there in the front, in view of the camera.

So it was decided that they'd celebrate the final moments of 2009 back at Camp Half-Blood. It wasn't terrible; there would be fireworks and food. And, even better, it wouldn't be exactly zero degrees at Camp, meaning Rebecca wouldn't need the coat anymore.

"Thanks, Argus," she said to the hundred-eyed man when he dropped them off at camp. Argus nodded and drove off to park the car somewhere else.

The Campers were celebrating in the amphitheatre, and the Apollo cabin was leading a very loud and rowdy version of "Auld Lang Syne." Since it wasn't midnight yet, the boat where the Athena and Apollo kids would be launching the fireworks was still out in the middle of the lake.

They got into the festivities quickly. Anne had found a party horn and was taking great delight in blowing it as loud as she could. Piper and Jason had joined in the singing. Rebecca preferred to watch. She grabbed a coke and sat down under her banner, taking in the scene. Leo joined her moments later.

"Not into parties?" He asked.

"No, I am," Rebecca replied. "I just like watching other people having fun. Look at Anne."