Chapter 23: Family Ties

Start from the beginning

"I know," Krysta said. "It has to do with Mateo and Evie's great-grandfather."

That sentence grabbed Evie's attention. She perked up and rose to her feet. She walked around Mateo, joining Ben. Evie took hold of his shoulder. "What are you talking about?" she said in a nervous voice.

Krysta inhaled. "I'm sorry, Evie."

"What is it? What aren't you telling Mateo and me?" Evie's whole body shook. She tightened her grip on Ben's shoulder.

Krysta drummed her fingers on the table's top. She glanced at Ms. Brook and mentally asked her for permission.

The older woman gave her a slow nod. "She needs to know."

"I know." Again, Krysta inhaled. She looked Evie straight in her blueberry blue eyes. "Evie, the thing is, yours and Mateo's great-grandfather trained that basilisk when your guys' grandmother and Euphorbia took a trip through time. He turned it into the monster it is today, the monster who forced Euphorbia to trap Sam for sixty years."

Evie's jaw dropped. She never felt so heated, so scared, and so betrayed.

Sam noticed her fear. He didn't hear Krysta's words, but he knew they triggered her.

A fountain of tears rolled down Evie's cheeks. She threw her arms around Mateo's neck. "Oh, Mateo, it's worse than I thought." It was everything she feared.

Hers and Mateo's family was evil. They destroyed the bond between humans and magical beings.

Mateo was only semi-conscious, but he still heard the news. Unlike Evie, though, he did not have the strength to react to it.

Crystal returned after Ben hung up. Flying close behind her was a fae man. His long blonde hair reached down his back, and he wore a silver circlet around his forehead. His silky white wings flapped behind him.

Evie's friends, Thebes, and Sam came within reach of Evie, Ben, and Mateo.

"Are you the chief?" Ashlynn asked the fae man.

He landed in front of Mateo. "I am, milady. You can call me Edger." He picked up Ashlynn's hand and gave it a small peck.

Evie noticed his long, pointy ears. It was kind of strange to see a human-sized fairy.

John came between Evie and Edger. He tapped his chin with his claws. "Hm, I have to say, you look good for your age," he told the man.

"Well, thank you. It doesn't take much." Edger patted his pale cheeks. "I use a special type of cologne and jam from the forest to maintain this look. Now, is this the patient?" He kneeled to Mateo. His sky-blue, elf-like tunic bounced slightly.

Thebes pulled Evie and her friends away from the magical beings. "He is," he said. "Now that you're here, Edger, we can finally get rid of these good-for-nothing humans."

John jumped in. "Oh, come on! At least let me stay. I'm a talking bird."

Evie narrowed her eyebrows. "We're not leaving," she said to Thebes. "Mateo needs us. Whether you like it or not, the Ranger Union's going to send an ambulance to come get him."

Thebes threatened to slap her cheek. "I'm not going to let it happen. The boy needs fae medicine, not human medicine. Humans aren't even allowed in Seranet."

"Thebes, I know how you feel, but Evie and her friends are the rare exceptions," Edger explained. "After sixty years, the Pebble Masters are finally here, as well as Euphorbia's second oldest friend." His attention shifted from Evie and Mateo to Sam.