Chapter XIII

———————-
————————
————————

---Jennie walked behind Irene's mom as they entered the hospital

-
-
-
Jennie walked behind Irene's mom as they entered the hospital. Irene walked beside her, holding her hand but Jennie felt like she was on auto pilot. Irene and her mom talked during the car ride but she couldn't even think of words. All she could think about was seeing Lisa. What would she do if she had lost her?

What if Lisa had died?

She'd be lost, empty without her.

The last thing she had said to her kept replaying in her head, over and over again.

"Please...please leave me alone, Lisa."

If she had died that would have been the last thing she would have heard from Jennie. It made her cringe. She was disgusted with herself.

Irene's mom talked to the woman behind the desk and she let them know what recovery room Lisa was in. They walked down the hall and every once in a while Irene looked over at Jennie and squeezed her hand a bit tighter but said nothing. They spotted Lisa's parents down the hall, both seemed stressed and their faces showed their lack of sleep. They had been here since late last night she could tell. Lisa's parents were always busy and they barely spent any time with her but looking at them now Jennie could tell they loved their daughter very much.

Irene's mom greeted them first, pulling Lisa's mother into a hug. She knew they weren't friends but apparently all mothers shared some kind of bond when it came to their children. They had to be there for each other when a child was involved. Jennie watched as Irene's mom asked them if they were doing alright and if they needed anything. When Lisa's mother was done talking to her, her eyes fell on Jennie who she pulled into a hug next.

Jennie sighed as she returned the hug, breathing her scent. It was a smell that also lingered on Lisa under her perfume. The simple smell of the Manoban's home.

It was comforting to her.

"Thank you so much for coming, Jennie." She said once they pulled away and she rubbed her arms as she smiled down at her. She smiled to Irene as well and reached over to touch her shoulder. She smiled back with a small nod of her head. "We were going to wait awhile before calling her friends but when she woke up a little while ago her first word was Jennie. I just thought it'd put her more at ease if you were here."

"Of course." Jennie whispered, her voice sounded so small. She looked over to the closed door and Lisa's mom followed her eyes.

"The doctors are in with her now. They've been checking on her periodically. We should be able to go back in, in a few minutes." Jennie nodded her head as she pulled her eyes away from the door to look over at Lisa's mother once more. "What happened?" Irene's mom frowned before sighed. "The girl has a real speeding problem." She started and Jennie immediately frowned because she had told her so many times to slow down.