40 - Autumn

When Freya comes down, she sees Dylan and I sitting at the table and when we look up at her, she nods.

"I feared this would happen," she says.

"What is happening?" Dylan asks.

"It isn't your Eldersblood that is doing this to you," Freya says. "It is whatever they gave you to make you go insane, when Autumn had to save you."

"Wait, you mean that you think this is happening because of what they did to me? But why is it happening to Autumn, too?"

She looks at the shadows swirling around me.

"The Fae might be able to help," she says. "There is a ceremony that we know of that can help free you from this poison that is flooding your veins. But it is a lot of work. It is a test that you two must do together. You two will have to rely on each other for survival and strength. I know you're not sure about leaving vampire territory, but the closest Fae territory to here is about an hour away by car."

"Well, chances are Viiros is not safe for us anymore, so we should probably leave and head somewhere else," Dylan says.

"You sure you want to leave Viiros?"

We turn as Arlo and Emma walk into the room. They both look tired, no doubt because of all that's happened, but they're holding hands and looking happy, or maybe content.

"Yes," Dylan says. "I don't want them finding us again. So, the best way to ensure that is to just leave."

"Are we just running from a fight?" Arlo asks.

"No," Dylan says, and I look at him. Frost is covering his face, now, too. My heartbeat picks up a little bit as I watch. "We aren't running from a fight. We are protecting ourselves from the madness of this insane world we are in."

"Tell me about this ritual, Freya," I say.

She nods. "The ritual is called Kalabai and it is designed to free your body of any poisons that lurk in your veins. It takes a while, and it is a long and hard process, as Kalabai requires you to fight things together, creatures known as Shades, a type of demon that are very hard to kill. Unless, of course, you have Eldersblood or the Lifespark."

"Lifespark?" Emma asks, tilting her head.

"Yes, Lifespark is what the Fae call magically gifted people's power. It has different names for each individual group of people."

"Oh, okay."

"So what do we do now?" Arlo asks.

"We need to head to Bluewater Springs tonight. We can't delay, we need to do Kalabai before the poison spreads."

"Alright, let's do this then," Dylan says.

We pack up and leave Viiros for the last time, and hopefully, we leave the whole underground city behind.