Chapter 22: Whispers of the Fae

Start from the beginning

Outside, Ms. Brook's eye caught a faint, green glow coming toward her. The being's red hair covered her face, but she was obviously Euphorbia. She sank into Ms. Brook's palms, weak and scared.

"What is it, Euphorbia?" she said.

***

Ben and Joey were still open-mouthed at the sight of Evie. They had been in the position so long; it was surprising none of them were drooling yet.

Evie swung her left leg behind her and slid off her mount's back. She shuffled over to Mateo.

The unicorn seemed to glare at Thebes.

He bowed to her.

Ben and Joey glued themselves to Evie. Ben gulped when he saw how pale and motionless Mateo was.

Evie took her counselor's right hand. She tried to shake him awake but to no avail. "Mateo, if you can hear me, squeeze my hand."

He did not. He looked like he was dead. He moved not an inch.

Evie gave it another shot. "Please, Mateo, if you can hear me, squeeze my hand."

After three tries, the young man finally gave her a weak squeeze. While it wasn't much, it was at least something.

"Oh, God. Thank you," said Evie. She released the breath she was holding. Her counselor was alive.

A whoosh of air passed by Evie, Ben, and Joey's heads. The unicorn hovered over them. "The boy is very weak," she explained. "We need to get him to Seranet before it's too late."

Her voice was one of the most beautiful things Evie had ever heard. Although, she still couldn't help but ask, "You talk?"

"Of course, I do." The unicorn stood tall. "I am Crystal. I watch over the magical beings in this part of the Paperblank Forest." She tilted her head toward Thebes. "I apologize about Thebes. He was good friends with Mateo's father."

"How do you know his name?" Evie didn't know if she should be weirded out or enticed.

"Faelyn told me just before his last battle," Crystal explained. "He died only a few days before the boy was born. Thebes, go get the rest of this camp crew."

"But, Crystal!" he argued. "They're humans."

Crystal glared at him. "And what's wrong with that? We're not going to leave them out here on the basilisk's lunch plate."

"Why not?"

"Thebes!"

"Okay, fine." Thebes sighed deeply. He put his crossbow on his back and picked up his sword.

Ben was not comfortable with him rounding up the others by himself. He feared he would try to kill them. As king, it was his duty to look after his people. "I need to go with him," he nervously told Crystal.

"I was planning on it, anyway," she replied in a serious tone.

Thebes groaned.

Before they left, Ben dropped his sword. "Drop your weapons," he ordered.

"Who made you the boss of me?" Thebes snickered.

"Drop your weapons!" Ben sounded dead serious that time.

"Listen to him," Crystal told the centaur.

Again, he groaned, but he went ahead and dropped everything: his two swords and crossbow. He glared at Ben the whole time.