ⅩⅩⅥ - Business Partners and Nicknames

"SHEI, WHERE's my daughter?" My mother's loud voice leaves a ringing sound in my ear.

"She's in the kitchen Maam."

I sat there, paralyzed, looking at Alex in panic, not knowing what to do. He just gave me a small shrug, his face emotionless, though there's a faint smirk hanging on his lips.

My mom's petite frame appears on the kitchen entrance making me squeak.

"Hello darling, how was the— oh, who's this?" She looks at me and then at Alex's back. She smiles, but the smile doesn't reach her eyes.

Alex turns around, stands up and approaches my mother with his business like manner.

"Good evening Mrs. Hale. I'm Alex Kennedy." Alex offers his hand and my mom gawks at him, puzzled and stunned.

I'm sure she's puzzled by Alex's polite business tone and formal introduction.

After a moment, she smiles, a genuine Stella Hale smile, and shakes Alex's waiting hand, making me let out a breath that I didn't even know I was holding.

Damn, that would be embarassing if she left him hanging.

My mum, who's still gawking yes, GAWKING AT ALEX, walks to me. "You didn't tell me you have a guest."

I opened my mouth to speak, but Alex's deep voice was the one that came out.

"I'm sorry to drop in this late Mrs. Hale, forgive me, but a problem surfaced and I needed your daughter's help." Alex's words are clear, polite and professional.

I feel like I'm in a freaking meeting.

I placed my hand on my mother's arm and smiled teasingly.

"Mother." I started, my tone formal and exageratedly fancy, mocking Alex. He just rolled his eyes. "Mr. Kennedy here, is sick. He has a high fever, and I told—"

"Forced." Alex coughed out, before taking a sip of his water. I glared at him and my mother stiffled a laugh.

"And I told him to stay and rest and eat before leaving. And he accepted it willingly, because he knows he needs it." I gave Alex a stern look.

My mother chuckles before pulling a chair and sitting beside me. "Is that true Alex?"

Alex nods, smiling politely. "A tad exagerated Mrs. Hale, but yes."

"Oh, you." She chuckles. "No need to call me Mrs. Hale, Stella will do."

"I appreciate that, Stella." Alex accepts my mum's first name basis rule.

Before anyone else could talk, or comment, loud footsteps came from the dining area.

"Honey, where are you guys?" My dad asks from outside.

My mother smiles at me and Alex, before yelling to my father where we are.

He walks in, still in his work clothes, and frowns as he finally notices Alex Kennedy. When Alex turned around to probably, give my father another formal fancy shmancy introduction, my father's expression of dismay, changed into a puzzled one.

"Mr. Kennedy." He clears his throat and composed himself. "Good evening. Why are you here, did we have any plans or meetings that I forgot?

Mr. Kennedy? My brows furrowed. Plans? Meetings?

My mother and I shared a confused look, before eyeing Alex and my father (who was currently shaking hands) with a what-the-hell-is-going-on? kind of a stare.