Nine

Luke Patterson

That was when I made a promise to myself that I would never fall in love again

Her words kept running through my head. I looked down at her and found her fast asleep. I couldn't help the smile that grew across my face. But then I saw her tear stained cheeks and my heart clenched. How could anyone be such an asshole, especially to her? I know I just fuck girls and move on but I never do it without their permission. And I would never even think of hitting a girl! My mama raised me better than that.

She starts to stirr and tears start rushing down her face. But she's still asleep? I don't know what to do I'm so confused. Then she stops. Like super abruptly. The tears stop and she's sleeping peacefully again. What the hell just happened? I seem to be asking myself that a lot.

I haven't taken my eyes off her this whole time and I see a smile slowly creep to her face.

"Luke..." she whispers, her eyes still shut "you're staring" she now peaks one eye open slightly.

I feel heat rush to my face and I turn away smiling.

"Don't be embarrassed, it's cute"

"Me? Embarrassed? Pshhh, never" I stumble over my words.

"Alright then, Patterson" she sits up and my body immediately feels cold, no longer having her body pressed against mine. She must feel it too because I see her shiver "can you take me home?"

"Of course"

~~

We walk into Amaiah's apartment and she sees a note sitting on the counter.

"My mom won't be home tonight" she sighs.

"Come one, let's get you into bed" I pull her towards her room and open different drawers in her dresser trying to find some sweatpants.

"Dude, whatever you do don't open the top drawer. I don't need you going through my bras"

"Noted"

I open the bottom drawer and grab a pair of baggy sweatpants and thrown them at her "I'll turn around"

"Now why don't I trust you?"

"As much as I would love to see you naked, tonight is not the time" I turn around.

After a few moments she speaks up "alright, you're good" I turn back around and see she pulled her hair into a messy bun.

She crawls into bed and I place her covers over her. I turn to walk out but she grabs my arm.

"Stay... please" her eyes are begging me "I can't be alone right now" her voice breaks.

Without a second of hesitation I crawl into bed next to her, immediately wrapping my arms around her body. She snuggles into me, her head in the crook of my neck. I could get used to this.

"Goodnight Patterson" she whispers and I can feel her hot breath run down my neck.

"Goodnight Ames" I squeeze her tighter, never wanting to let go.

It was at this moment I realized, I want to be the reason she breaks her promise. I want to be the one who wakes up next to her everyday. I want to be the one she goes to for everything. I want to be the one she kisses goodnight. I want to be the one who gives her the time of her life, with consent. It's not all about sex you horny fuck. I want to be the one that makes her feel loved. I want to be the one that makes her feel like the only girl in the world.

I want to be the one she loves.

My mind wanders to the first day we met shit, that fucking bet. Now whenever I try to actually have something with her, she's just gonna think it's me trying to win so I can rub it in her face. She's gonna think I just want to break her heart. Fuck. Why do I have to be so goddamn stupid sometimes? It's not like I ever thought I'd actually fall for her. But I did. Hard. Kinda ironic, sometimes she makes me h- Jesus you are horny as fuck

How the fuck am I supposed to get her to actually fall in love with me when she literally promised herself to never fall in love with anyone AND she has an extra promise, specifically not to fall for me. I'm screwed.

My only option at this point is to keep chipping away at her walls and find a way to convince her I actually want her and that it's not for the stupid bet. For now, she can believe it is.

"Mark my words Evans, I will have you on your knees for me if it's the last thing I do" I repeat my words from that night in a whisper, careful not to wake her up "and I will already be waiting on mine"