Ch.90 Matcha Panda Biscuits

Chapter 90: Matcha Panda Biscuits

As Lin ShuYi expected, the trunk of the car ended up packed on their way back.

XiaoYu was much more energetic on the way back. They weren't sure if it was because Lin ShuYi's words had made an impact or if it was the three cakes. He pressed himself against the backseat glass window, looking outside with interest. Whenever he saw something interesting, he'd report it to Lin ShuYi. Then, when they passed by an elderly man manning a fruit stall, Lin ShuYi stopped to buy some fruit.

Not many fruits were in season in winter, but one of the most popular fruits at this time of year was the mandarin orange. Small, sweet and juicy with a thin peel and no seeds.

Seeing Lin ShuYi get out, Xiao Yu followed. Seeing such a beautiful child, the elderly man smiled. He didn't even care if the two were planning on buying anything, handing Xiao Yu two mandarins. "Try some, child. These oranges are really sweet."

Xiao Yu smiled and nodded politely. "Thank you, grandpa, but we haven't paid, so I can't take the oranges." And then he looked up at Lin ShuYi, smiling widely when he saw Lin ShuYi's approving gaze.

"Could we have a few kilos, please."

The elderly man went to ruffle Xiao Yu's hair, and Xiao Yu let him do so, making him smile even wider. "You're such a well-mannered young man."

They bought several kilos of oranges and apples, all relatively in season ones. They tasted good and weren't too expensive either. Though there wasn't as much of a variety in these roadside stalls compared to big supermarkets, what was sold here was usually fresher and more delicious than the ones in supermarkets, at a cheaper price, too. After weighing the fruits, the elderly man still ended up putting the two oranges he was going to gift Xiao Yu into the bags, saying, "You're such a well-mannered child, so the oranges, I'll gift to you, yes? Your brother here won't scold you for it."

Xiao Yu looked at Lin ShuYi before thanking the elderly man. "Than you, grandpa, but this isn't my brother, he's my dad."

The elderly man's eyes widened, clearly disbelieving that such a young man would be a father to a child this old.

Straightening the scarf around Xiao Yu's neck, Lin ShuYi put the fruit into the car with a smile. "Say goodbye to grandpa."

Xiao Yu grasped Lin ShuYi's hand. "Bye, grandpa."

Then he got into the car with Lin ShuYi, leaving the elderly man alone in his surprise. Dad? He hadn't misheard had he? Then, as the car drove away, the elderly man finally noticed Shen Fu who had been watching the two with a loving expression from the front of the car. Wait, so who was the dad???

Once they got back to the Shen Family house, TaoTao had fallen asleep with Shen Fu's mother's help, butt in the air on the massive bed. With the quilt covering him, you couldn't even find him anymore.

Shen Fu's mother carefully tiptoed out, mumbling to herself, "We've got to buy him a smaller bed for himself." Otherwise they would be constantly worried. Seeing the three return, she came down cheerfully. "Back already?"

Xiao Yu handed an orange to Shen Fu's mother. "Grandma, have some oranges. There're really sweet."

Shen Mu took a bite and kissed Xiao Yu on the cheek. "YuYu is such a good child. It really is very sweet, delicious!"

Shen Fu and Lin ShuYi were putting their purchases away while Shen Fu's mother watched, complimenting all their purchase decisions. "Oh yes, did you two buy TaoTao a smaller bed?"

Lin ShuYi nodded. "Yes, but it was a little too big so I had them deliver it in the morning."

Their hourly worker (阿姨, as in the kind that comes and cleans and cooks and whatnot. Usually a middle aged lady) put the vegetables and fruits into the kitchen before taking the new clothes for Xiao Yu and Tao Tao. They'd be ready to wear after a wash and dry.