Ch.16 Oden

Chapter 16: Oden

Lin ShuYi poured a glass of water for Old man Yang, who took it before slowly speaking. It turned out that the house mentioned by Yang JianGuo and Yang Xiao was the house where Old man Yang currently lived in.

This house was bought by Old man Yang and his wife back in those years. Yang JianGuo lived in this same house before he bought a house in the city. Old man Yang's wife died very young and Old man Yang was left alone early on. This house bore all the memories of Old man Yang and his wife. Everything in the house had been around for some years. In other people's eyes, this was a worthless old house. However, the house was the only place for Old man Yang to reminisce about his wife.

Originally, he was very happy when the Yang JianGuo and his family asked him to stay in the city for two days with them. After all, they moved to the city such a long time ago but had never suggested such a thing. When he went over, his daughter-in-law was smiling and laughing all day and as she served tea and drinks. Old man Yang thought they could finally get along and have a good conversation. Yet, at the dining table the next day, his daughter-in-law made several expressions at Yang JianGuo, and he began to talk about selling the house.

Old man Yang was the clearest about his own son's character. He had been obedient since he was a child. However, his only flaw was was he was like a doormat. Old man Yang's daughter-in-law has been overbearing since she married into the family and Yang JianGuo basically listened to her about everything. Old man Yang thought that it did not matter who was the one calling the shots in the life of a young married couple and had never said anything about it. He always felt that her heart was in the right place even though his daughter-in-law had a strong personality. Thus, he never said a bad word about her despite her repeatedly finding faults with Old man Yang.

When his daughter-in-law later said that she did not want to live in Old man Yang's home and wanted to buy a house in the city, he took out all his savings and helped them raise enough money for the down payment even though he was reluctant to part with them. Regardless of this, t ithey had never mentioned anything about asking him to move to the city together even if Old man Yang had no wish to do so because of this house which he was reluctant to leave. He felt that leaving here was as if he was abandoning his wife here and this made Old man Yang feel miserable.

Yang JianGuo said that his wife saw a shop in the city and wanted to set up a beauty salon. Old man Yang's daughter-in-law had studied cosmetology for several years, but since she got married, she had stayed at home to take care of her children and never went out to work. When Yang Xiao grew older, this daughter-in-law did not want to go out to work and cater to the moods of others, so she decided to open a shop and be a boss herself. It just so happened that she had learned cosmetology and heard that recently beauty parlors were earning a lot of money. Thus, she set her mind on it.

However, since she was not working, the family's income depended on Yang JianGuo alone. Although he earned enough that they did not need to worry about covering their living expenses, it was totally not enough if she wanted to open a beauty parlor. It was not known how she thought until she remembered Old man Yang's house, leading to her getting Yang JianGuo to talk to Old man Yang.

Old man Yang naturally disagreed. Not to mention that the house was of great significance to him, he was not very supportive of the idea of opening a beauty salon in the first place. It was not because he looked down upon his daughter-in-law, but that his daughter-in-law had been idle at home for so many years and had done nothing. She didn't even know how deep the water was in this line and wanted to open a shop and become a boss. Old man Yang felt that this was truly unfeasible.

After a polite refusal at the table, Old man Yang found his daughter-in-law was looking very surly. After sulking for a whole day, she finally had a throw down with Old man Yang at noon on the third day while they were eating.