prologue

| sam's pov |
flashback:

It was the last day of summer before junior year. Junior year, I wasn't ready, it was the year before I'd have to make so many decisions about my future life. My friend Jessica invited me to this 'end of the summer' bonfire, which I was pretty excited about.

She told me to invite someone to bring along, I didn't have many friends, I was kind of an outsider when high school started but I didn't mind, because there was only one person who I truly wanted to invite.

~

I arrived at the Santa Cruz beach. There was a lot of people already there when I arrived. I wasn't too siked on this party idea, the whole summer I spent at this beach or inside my house playing video games with Michael or watching Netflix. I saw Jess sitting down next to her boyfriend so I walked over to her.

"Hey Sam! How are you?" Jess got up and hugged me.

"I'm fine how are you Jess? Thanks for inviting me by the way."

"It's not a party without Samantha Johnson!" She giggled

"Anyways..who did you invite?"

Before I could answer I see a dark purple haired boy walking this way.

"Let me guess, your the one who invited Clifford?" She chuckled at me

"Yeah..he's my best friend. I couldn't not invite him. It's the last party all summer, so why not?"

"True, the more the merrier!" Jess yelled

Mike walked over to me, as I got up to give him a tight hug.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"Let's get something to drink yeah?"

I nodded and me and Mike walked over to the drinks. Alcohol. I've never drank anything in my life, but it was just once right? I had to live a little, maybe then Michael would like me. Or even look at me that way. He handed me a red cup and we sat down along the beach, by the shore.

"I'm not ready for Junior year Sam."

"Me either."

"I don't want to grow up you know? I don't want more expectations. I want to stay young, stay me."

"I know how you feel. My moms been bugging me this whole week about what I want to do, but I dunno Mike. It doesn't feel right."

"Psh. You shouldn't be worried, your a strait A student since grade school sam. You don't have a problem with school. You're smart, you can get in any college you want. For me that's difficult. I really do try at school it's not easy though. Everyone probably think I'm a fuck up."

"But your not Mike. You can do so much more with your life than you know."

"Thanks Sam. You always know the right thing to say."

I smile at him as he gives my hand a squeeze.

"Enough talk about the future though. Let's get wasted and do stupid shit on our last day of summer, yeah?"

"Hell yeah."

A couple hours later everyone was wasted and having fun. We were dancing, swimming and partying. It was around 8 o'clock at night, Jess started the bonfire. I pulled Mike from the dance floor.

"C'mon lets go get s'mores." I giggled at him

"Yes ma'am!"

We got s'mores and sat down around the fire. I just noticed it was only me and him, everyone else was either swimming, dancing or making out. I laughed.

"Why are you laughing Sammy?"

"Because we're the only ones getting s'mores..." I laughed again

"Oh yeah...well that leaves just us two then." He winked at me, I blushed and looked at my feet.

"Sam look at me." He pulled my chin up to look at him, he was closer than I expected him. We were so close that we could've kissed. I noticed he was looking at my lips.

"Sam I've been wanting to do this all year..all summer. We've been friends for so long and I can never stop thinking about you. I'm finally going to take a chance."

He leaned in a kissed me. I kissed him back.

"What are you doing Michael?"

"Taking chances."