20

After what Jace had said, Izzy had practically run from the scene probably in hopes of us mending our friendship and maybe even start something more. I opened my mouth to say something, but Jace beat me to it.

"You've had your opportunity to say what you wanted, now it's my turn." He said. "I never meant to hurt you, Ali. Thats the last thing I'd ever want to do. I guess I never really stopped to think how you would feel when I started spending my time with Clary. And I'm really sorry for everything." He took a deep breath before continuing. "Ever since we met, I've had a different feeling about you than any other girl I've met. I guess I tried telling myself it was just because we were best friends and that was all. But now, after hearing you tell me you love me, I've realized I always really did have feelings for you. And I'm sorry for everything I put you through and for havi you have to wait years for me to finally figure it out. But Ali, I'm in love with you, too."

I wish I could've come up with something romantic or clever to say, but nothing came to mind. He had just said everything I had been hoping he would say to me.

"I just- I can't-" I cut off not knowing what to say.

"Have I rendered the Ali Penrose speechless?" He asked with a smirk playing in his lips.

"A little, yeah." I laughed.

"Then I don't think you'll be talking for days after I do this."

He quickly closed the distance between us and leaned his head down toward my face. His lips met mine as his arms slipped around my waist. I kissed him back, still not quite believing this was happening. Somehow, my arms managed to wrap around his neck as one of my hands made its way into his hair.

"Remind me... Again... Why this... Took so long?" He asked between kisses.

"Because you were being an ass." I laughed loudly.

He shut me up by kissing me again, only this time he deepened the kiss. I don't know how long it went on for, but suddenly we were interrupted by two voices.

"I knew it would happen." Izzy said as she smirked at us.

"You couldn't have done this back in the other room where we wouldn't walk in and see?" Alec said.

"We all know Izzy still would've come in to see how things were going." I laughed.

"And by the look of it, things are going great." Izzy smiled. "But getting back to why we are really here, there's been some demons spotted a few blocks from here."

"Yeah, you two can save your little session for later." Alec said before he and Izzy started laughing.

"Very funny, Alec." I said as I walked off toward the weapons room. "Now hurry up! We got some demons to kill!"

"Always ready to kill." Alec said as he shook his head and caught up to me.

"One of the many reasons she's the one for me." Jace said, his voice low.

The four of us continued on our walk to the weapons room, but Izzy and Jace were whispering about something behind me that I couldn't hear and I kept turning around hoping they'd invite Alec and I into the conversation. But they never did.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I whispered to Alec.

"What do you mean?" Alec asked.

"I mean, they're whispering to each other which only means they don't want either me, you, or both of us to hear."

"I'm sure it's nothing important." Alec said. "If it was important they'd tell us."

I kept quiet the rest of the way hoping Alec was right. We eventually reached the place where the demons had been spotted and Alec stiffened.

"You alright?" I asked.

"Yeah, just nervous after what happened the last time I fought a demon." He said, his hand reaching up to rub the back of his neck.

"Don't worry, this time I have your back."

We walked inside the deserted building with Izzy and Jace trailing close behind. Alec looked around while I kept my eyes on the only other door in the room.

"This looks like dragon demons." Alec commented as we continued on.

"Dragon demons are mostly extinct." Jace commented.

"Well, looks like we're about to find out." I said before we all continued on.