Chapter One Hundred and Five: Time for War

Start from the beginning

"Hey, those are my kids. Don't call 'em stupid," Daryl calls, and I turn around, relieved to see that he's still in Alexandria. "Even if they might be."

"Stop, they aren't stupid," I roll my eyes at him, a smile on my face. "But they do keep me from fighting, so that's annoying."

"Come on, let me take you to bed."

"Daryl Dixon, are you trying to me a move on me?" I smirk, reaching out to grab the hand he extended to me.

"I, uh, I meant to sleep," a blush creeps on his cheeks, and I laugh. He doesn't get flustered often, but I love when he does.

Daryl and I go back to our house, and for the first time in several nights, I fall asleep very quickly wrapped in his arms. Even though our fight isn't over, I know we're safe for tonight, even if it's only for tonight. Negan is surrounded, and he's not getting out. We'll be okay for a few hours.

When I wake up the next morning and Daryl isn't beside of me, I start to panic. I barely even take the time to put on my shoes before I run out of the house and head for the gate, looking for Daryl's bike. I sigh in relief when I see it sitting in the same spot we left it last night.

"He isn't here," Beth says from behind me, completely bursting my bubble. "Him, Tara, Rosita and Michonne are gone. They took a car and a garbage truck."

"Son of a bitch," I curse, kicking the tire of the bike. "I told him not to leave. Rick said to stay put. Why am I the only one that actually listens?"

"I don't know, but Carl's gone, too," she frowns. "I think he took off on foot."

"Jesus Christ, is anybody still here?" I throw my hands in the air, very much feeling defeated. "What if someone shows up? What the hell do they expect us to do then?"

"Scare them away with our good intentions," she shrugs with a sigh.

Hours pass by with absolutely no sign of Daryl, and I decide that instead of sulking and getting lost in sad thoughts, I'll make proper use of my time waiting. For several hours, I pace back and forth in front of the gate, practicing what I'm going to say to Daryl when he gets back. I need to perfect my speech before I give it to him, just so I get the maximum amount of guilt from him.

I don't hear them coming back this time, but when the gate opens I know they're here. Stepping to the side so that they can get through, I fold my arms over my chest and put on my very best "I'm very pissed off" face.

"Daryl Dixon, you ass!" I yell as soon as he steps out of the car, walking over to poke him in the chest. "I told you not to go! I told you that it was too dangerous, but what do you do? You leave while I'm asleep, you coward! If something—"

"We did it," he cuts me off, pressing his lips to mine and catching me very off guard. "I did it. It worked. The walkers are in."

"That doesn't change the fact that you left, Daryl!" I exclaim, trying my best to hold my ground and continue with the words I practiced while he was gone. It's hard, though, when he's so happy like this. "And how do you know it worked? Are you sure they can't kill them?"

"We're gonna show back up tonight, tell them to surrender. They'll surrender," he nods, kissing me again. "We're gonna win this thing."

"Okay, okay," I nod, kissing him back as all of my anger melts away. "We're gonna be okay. Let me go with you tonight."

"Trixy, no," he shakes his head, placing a hand on my bump. "We already had this talk yesterday."

"That was before you sent the walkers in on them," I place my hand on top of his. "If I can't fight, I at least want to go watch you end it."