Year 4: Into The Goblet

The smell of sweet cakes and honey filled the air. Bottles of bourbon and Firewhisky layout on the Professors' table in the Great Hall and jugs of non-alcoholic Butterbeer lay on the house tables. Banners draped from the ceiling in an ostentatious way, depicting crests and images of Wizarding Folklore, the way middle-aged churches display their bible stories on extravagant windows of color.

If that was not enough of a giveaway that tonight was an important night, the fact that the grey-bearded Gamekeeper was sitting at the professors' table was.

I watched as Al carefully poured the Butterbeer into his glass, the heavy jug shaking in his hand slightly and weighing his thin arm down. Lucien put his hand underneath the jug, letting some of the weight fall onto him.

"Thanks," Al muttered before placing the jug down and bringing his cup to his lips.

Lucien just smiled and poured himself his own glass.

"What's the occasion?" Annabeth asked. Though the question was meant for us all, she was looking directly at Al, hoping he would be the one to answer.

"I heard somebody say the other schools are coming for the tournament tonight," Sasha replied to Annabeth's disappointment.

Just as Sasha finished speaking, Headmistress Lovegood was clearing her throat at the podium. "Hello everybody." She managed to maintain softness in her voice even while speaking loudly to a few hundred people.

"There are a few things to say tonight." she began. "Firstly, as many of you may already know, students and professors from the Beauxbatons and Durmstrang schools will be arriving tonight. You will be sharing this home with them for the year, so make sure that they feel welcome. They all are already aware of the rules for the tournament so I will begin to tell you them now."

The Gamekeeper was shuffling in his seat next to Professor Lupin, who just laughed as he almost knocked down a bottle of Firewhisky. Professor Scamander, the Care of Magical Creatures Professor, was laughing along as well but quickly stopped when his wife turned around and glared at him intensely. She looked back at us students and continued to speak.

"There will be no Quidditch," she said casually. There was an uproar from some of the students, including me.

"What does she mean no Quidditch? How can there be no Quidditch?!" I exclaimed.

Not every student was surprised though. Apparently, if you knew anything about the Triwizard Tournament, it was common knowledge that there was no Quidditch.

"Settle down children," the Headmistress said softly, lulling the conversation with a waving hand. "There will be no Quidditch simply because it is such a busy and exciting year."

"That's rubbish." Scorpius scoffed.

"All students year six and seven are eligible to enter. Anyone younger than that can not. The same goes for Beauxbatons and Durmstang students. Those who are looking to enter will write their name, school, and year on a slip of paper and put it into the Goblet of Fire which will be in this room on Saturday. Oh! Which is tomorrow, how exciting. The contestants will be announced during the Halloween feast tomorrow. Contestants should be prepared for interviews and meetings with the Ministry of Magic members until the first task occurs on the twenty-fourth of November. But please, trust me when I say that these contests should not be taken lightly and are made for the strong-hearted and brave. Although they have been made less dangerous throughout the years, there is still a risk factor. I hope this is clear for you all. And now that this is all said, please help me in welcoming the lovely students from the Durmstrang Academy and their Headmaster Alexei Stepanov."