Year 1: Mirror Glass

Every morning during breakfast a swarm of owls would fly through the Great Hall and drop off letters and packages but I had never gotten anything until one October morning. A brown owl swooped down and dropped a package in front of me.

"Ooh Del what did you get?" Scorpius asked.

"I don't know, my parents don't own any brown owls though, they have this weird thing where they strictly buy grey screech owls." I replied.

"Who do you think it's from then?" Al asked.

"No idea." I answered, examining the box.

"Cedar's finally got a package?" Goyle announced from the farther end of the table.

"I didn't know half-bloods could afford owls." Zabini added.

"Zabini you're an idiot." Scorpius said in my defense.

"Well open it." Cupid insisted.

I looked around to see if Sasha was here, but she wasn't, she hadn't been showing up to any meals all month and I was starting to get concerned. Ever since I found her crying in the dormitory she hadn't been speaking to me either, so it became really difficult to figure out what was going on. I redirected my attention to the package in front of me. The box was wrapped in brown wrapping paper and there was a little note attached to the top of it. I took the note off the top and opened it.

"What does it say?" Scorpius asked.

"Dear Delancey,

In this mirror your worst enemies lie

So you can conceal yourself for all of time

Run from them and don't be brave

No need to dig your own grave

-D.C.L" I read out loud.

"That's creepy." Al said, pointing out the obvious.

I unwrapped the box and opened it, pulling out a single shard of mirror glass.

"What did you get?" Cupid asked, interrupting her conversation with Annabeth.

"A piece of glass." Scorpius answered with amusement.

"Why would you need a piece of glass?" she asked.

"To see her enemies oooooh." Scorpius said in a mocking tone while waving his fingers around in Cupid's face.

"Waving your fingers around doesn't make it scary." Al said rolling his eyes as Cupid swatted Scorpius's hands away.

"Who's D.C.L anyway, is he your uncle or something?" Scorpius asked while taking a bite of his bacon.

"I don't know." I replied, examining the piece of mirror-glass. "I don't think I know anyone with those initials."

The mirror-glass was no bigger than the palm of my hand. I looked into the mirror not to see me, but to see the eye of a person I don't think I've ever met. This wasn't an ordinary piece of mirror, and if what the note said was true, then the eye in the mirror was my enemy.

I walked into the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and took my seat next to Scorpius. Al sat behind us next to a Ravenclaw girl.

"Have you seen your enemies?" Scorpius said with a grin.

"Oh stop mocking me, I didn't write it." I said giving him a playful shove.

"In all seriousness though, have you?" Al asked leaning over.

"I'll tell you about it later, not here." I replied.