17

I slowly woke up as the light peaked through the window, shining in my eye. Quickly, I get out of bed and get ready for the day. Then, I headed off to the tournament. Due to me not being a finalist, I was to be a spectator on the balcony. Luckily, Dad had let me be with the others instead of being with him while watching.

Téa, Bakura and Tristan were already at the balcony.
"Hey guys!" I greet them.
"Oh, hey Rosa." The greets me as the other two turn to look at me. Bakura looks back at the field to see the doors opening.
"Here they come." He states as Yugi and Mai appear on the field.
"And there's my Dad." I sigh as him, Croquet and Kemo walk on his side.

"Yugi, Joey, Mai, and Banned Keith. I welcome all of you to the playoff arena. Here is where the last great duel monsters duels shall be waged to determine the championship of the duelist kingdom! Only one of you shall emerge victorious; only one of you shall win the $3 million prize; and, of course, the victor in the playoffs shall earn the right to challenge me in the final match." Dad says.
"Challenge you... Well, isn't that special? And what do the playoff winner get for defeating you in the final duel?" Tristan asks Dad.
"The victor shall be granted one request, whatever his, or her, heart most desires and if it's in my vast power to do so, their wish shall be granted. The victor will also be declared the undisputed Duelist Kingdom Champion, ranked number 1 in the world!"
"The champion of the world?"
"Surely any duelist that has come this far must realise that the title, and not the money, is the real prize. Is that not so?" Dad asks causing different responses from the 4 contestants.
'It depend what you're dueling for Dad'
"Yes, yes, I'm sure some of you have more riding on this tornament more than others, hmm, Yugi? All right, let's get this show on the road. Only one of you will emerge victorious from these playoffs, but I wish you all good fortune. Now shuffle your decks and may the best duelist win!"

Croquet then begins to announce the first duel as a screen shows the match ups, "The first duel will now begin. Mai Valentine versus Yugi Moto. Duelists please proceed to the arena." Mai and Yugi proceed to do so, Mai going to the red side while Yugi going on the blue side.
"Before you begin, you must each show me the card required for your participation." Croquet states and the two duelists do so, "Both qualify. The duel may proceed."

"Good luck, go Yugi!" Téa cheers before Joey barges in between Téa and Tristan to and yells.
"What's with you, Joey?" Bakura asks him.
"What? I was just gettin' a bird's eye view of the action. Go Yuge! Wipe her out man!" Joey explains before cheering Yugi on.
"Knowing Mai, she has probably sorted out her deck go help her beat Yugi so he's going to have to be careful." I comment and Téa nods in agreement.

"Here I come, hotshot!" Mai exclaims as she draws her first card and Yugi starts to chuckle, causing Mai to look at him.
"If you're playing honourably, you can't try that psychic act on me the way you did on Joey." Yugi states while smirking.
"No tricks this time, Yugi." Mai responds, "I'm not all smoke and mirrors, kiddo. Even without my tricks, I can duel with the best of them. And I play Harris Lady in atttack mode!" Mai's esteemed monster sppears on the field.

"That move is Mai's standard opening ploy." Tristan states.
"Yugi, be careful! Watch out!" Téa shouts.
"Our cheering help!" I yell, mocking what Mai said to Téa for the first time they met, causing him to smirk and Mai to glare at me. Joey then goes on about how there isn't anything to worry about.

Mai then continues her move by placing down a second card face down and ends her turn. Yugi then draws a card before summoning Gaia, the fierce knight and orders an attack in Mai's Harpie Lady.
'He's fell for her trap.'
Gaia goes to attack the Harpie but Mai activates her trap, Mirror Wall.
"Your Gaia ran smack into my mirror wall, which cuts any of your monsters attack power in half." Mai explains, "As soon as your monster attacked, the mirror wall rose up to protect my Harpie Lady. Your Fierce Knight met an equal attack from it's own refelection, draining it's lifepoints. Pretty darn slick, huh, Yugi?" Mai then draws a card and then uses a spell card, cyber shield, to give her harpie armor, giving her more attack points before attacking and destroying Gaia. This causes Yugi's lifepoints to go down to 1350.
Mai then begins to taunt Yugi by commenting on how he fell for her trap.
'He's holding back, but why?'