PARALYZED

Leo screamed in terror, sitting upright in a bed. His body yelled at him for making such a sudden move. Breathing heavily, he was suddenly aware of Jason Grace who gently pushed him back.

"Take it easy, Leo."
Piper kissed his cheek before sitting back in a chair set at Leo's bedside. He realized they were in the infirmary, with machines hooked to his body, beeping to the rhythm of his heartbeat.

"What happened?"

"You almost drowned. Thank Katie and Austin later for saving you later." Jason said.

He patted Leo's knee. Frowning, Leo realized the problem.

Piper squeezed his hand.

"Leo?"

"Something's wrong."

Le tried to move, but there was no feeling in his legs. He pinched his torso, going down till it reached bandages wrapped around the wound between hips. Panicking, Leo felt his eyes widen.

"I can't move. I can't..."

"Leo!" Jason yelled. "What?"

"I can't feel my legs. I can't move my legs."

Leo wanted to scream.

"I can't..."
Piper calmed him.

"Calm down, Leo. It's going to be okay..."
"No! No, it's not okay. I can't move my legs, Piper! I can't walk..."

Piper gently pulled him into her arms but he blinked back tears.

"We'll get you through this." She soothed.

A couple of days later, Leo sat in a wheelchair, his wounds fairly stable enough so he could leave the infirmary. He was getting used to the useless feeling in his legs. however, it did not stop him from trying to locate Hazel. His heart ached for his friend. Where was she? Why her? Of everyone, why her? 

Leo rolled his wheelchair inside the Big House, where Katie had summoned him. Frank passed him.

"Leo, anything?"
Leo shook his head.

"I'm sorry not yet."
Frank's face said it all. He was terrified for Hazel and with good reason.  Percy was the strongest, made sense he managed to survive the ordeal. But Hazel? She wasn't as strong as Percy. Yes, she was definitely stronger than almost anyone, but was she strong enough to survive too?

"Don't worry, Frank. I'm still trying. Annabeth is helping too. We'll find Hazel before it's too late. I promise."
"Don't make promises you can't keep Leo."
Frank left.

Katie, Annabeth, Jason, Piper, and Percy approached Leo.  After a good rest and over a month confined to bed, the sea god's son was looking better. Sure there were definite scars, but at least he could move. Leo however, could only move his arms. Pretty helpful.

Katie showed him the serum.

"We put this together. I think this may help you. Want to try?"

Leo nodded, willing to take any chance he had in walking again.

Katie smiled gently as she injected it into Leo's arm.

"We'll see if the serum worked now. Okay?"

Leo nodded, letting Jason and Percy pull him up by the armpits. He had to grunt in the effort, careful not to damage any stitches. Leo gripped Jason and Percy's arms harder than he should.

"Ready?" Jason asked.

Leo nodded. He slowly put a foot out in front of him. Immediately, Leo collapsed, his feeling in the legs empty, gone.  Jason and Percy held him up but Leo's side throbbed from the sudden jolts. After being pulled back into the wheelchair, Leo smashed his fist against the armrest.