Ten...

I turn my head towards Maya.

"Please, I need to go.." I retort, trying to pull away from her grasp.

"Please... stay. I want you two to try talking things out," Maya says.

You know damn well that isn't going to work. I think to myself. But to obey my mother's wishes, I roll my eyes and walk back to where I was, Maya letting go of my wrist.

The three of us sit down together, but I can already feel the tension radiating off of Reece.

"Oh, look, isn't that nice, Jasper? Reece brought you some food," Maya says, handing me a plate. "Food has been really scarce lately, you know."

This guy probably poisoned my food.

I take the plate and stare down at the food, unwilling to even dare to eat it.

"So..." Maya begins. "How about each of you take turns saying how you feel? Be honest about everything, okay? And be nice too!" I listen and nod. I look over at Reece, who takes a bite from what seems like a bit of venison. I wait for him to start speaking first.

"Jasper killed my wife. I am pissed that he did and I want him dead to avenge her," Reece says simply. "I am fighting off the urge just by sitting here."

Did he really just say that to my face?! So the rumors were true. My turn to explain my side.

"I was brainwashed by Medea and then Akan into believing that the Union were the bad guys and that neither Maya or Nick cared about me. I killed Lily in the battle when we were attacking each other. It got out of hand. Now after realizing that I, in fact, was a bad guy... I want to change and become a full member of the Elemental Union," I explain.

"...I don't believe you."

"What?"

"I don't believe you," Reece repeats, giving me a cold glare. "You're just trying to gain our trust so you can ambush us."

"No... that's far from the truth," I retort, furrowing my eyebrows.

"And how am I supposed to know that? You are just lying through your teeth at this moment," He responds, crossing his arms. "I am not falling for your tricks."

"Reece..." Maya says, giving him a sad expression.

"Maya, I've said this a billion times, but you know damn well why I can't trust your bastard of a son," Reece snaps. "And you shouldn't either. Especially when you're pregnant. Unless you want to wind up dead. You just met him a few months ago when he fought against us. He killed my wife! One of his buddies killed your husband! I thought you were better than this. I never agreed to this discussion."

I could hear some incoherent mumbling from Maya, but I decide to defend myself and Maya.

"But I've been locked up for months now!" I snap back, feeling my face grow hot. "Don't you think that if I had intentions to kill, that I would've by now?! I learned from my mistakes and I want to change! But how can I change while locked up all the time?!"

"Like I said before, I do not believe a single word that's coming out of your mouth," Reece retorts, bitterness in his voice. "You cannot be trusted at all ever. I will avenge Lily. You better watch your fucking back."

"Hey! Please cut it out!" Maya raises her voice, standing up. We go silent. She locks her gaze with Reece's. "Reece, I understand why you're upset, but please calm down. I've told you many times before, I see that Jasper is willing to change. You'll see so too over time. He has a point. And Reece, if you dare lay a hand on my son, we will be over for good, you hear me? I will raise our child alone if you hurt him."

Don't mess with a mother and her child.

"I'm sorry..." Reece mumbles, lowering his head guiltily. "I just got... carried away." I watch uncomfortably as Maya gets up from her seat and moves over to Reece's seat, pulling him into a tight hug. Reece remains sitting and rests his face against Maya's baby bump as he hugs her back. I can't help but feel nauseated at the exchange.

I am going to be sick. I think as I watch Maya try to comfort her friend with benefits. I roll my eyes. They then separate and Maya goes back to her spot.

"Jasper, are you going to eat?" Maya asks me.

"I'm not hungry," I lie, turning my head away.

"Alrighty then, if you say so, but I can't let this food go to waste. I can return it to the kitchen," Maya responds, taking my plate from me.

"...I think I'm gonna go," I say, standing up. I feel so uncomfortable with Reece here, I just can't stand it.

"Oh, why? You and Reece haven't really talked much.." She responds, which starts to fuel my anger again a little.

"You know damn well why!" I snap. I then barge out of Maya's apartment room and head out to the stairwell.

"Jasper!" Maya calls out, chasing after me. I speed up knowing that she's following me. I head all the way down the set of stairs to the ground floor. I head out the door outside. Once I step out, snow crunches underneath my feet. It is currently snowing hard. Feeling like I shouldn't keep running in the freezing cold, I pause. Maya catches up to me, breathing heavily.

"Jasper! Why did you run out like that?! I didn't mean to upset you..." Maya asks me breathily.

"God, I can't stand him!" I shout angrily. "Even his face just pisses me off!"

"Hey, calm down.." Maya says softly, grabbing one of my hands. "It's okay. I understand. That talk was all my idea... but now that I think about it... it was probably a really bad idea. I just want you two to get along... I care for you both so much."

"It's not going to be that easy. I can't get along with someone who clearly wants me dead," I grumble, crossing my arms.

"I understand that... but I guess it will all just take time. It will be hard, but I have faith that you two will make amends some way or another..." Maya responds, looking away with uncertainty.

"I wish Dad were here..." I mumble. "I didn't know him, but I know he would teach that Reece guy a lesson..."

"I wish he was too," Maya sighs. "But you cannot forget what you've done to Reece. It's no wonder he's acting the way he is with you."

"But... wanting me dead? Two wrongs don't make a right. That's what Belle told me... at least," I respond, looking down.

"I know that..." Maya sighs. "But you need to see it from his perspective. If someone killed Belle, wouldn't you feel the same towards them?" I pause and let out a sigh.

"Yeah..." I admit, losing eye contact with Maya.

"See?" Maya responds. "He needs to see things from your perspective too at some point, but I think it will take a while. Just keep pushing through and you'll be respected eventually. I know it."

"You're right.." I sigh. "But don't expect me to trust Reece at all anytime soon. I am not risking my life."

"I don't expect you to. That was... very stupid of me," Maya admits.

"It was," I respond. "Now, I think I'm going to do something else before I have to go back into the prison room." I walk off.

"Oh.. alright. See you around. I love you."

I don't give her a response as I continue to walk off.

I cannot accept this life. Something needs to happen and it needs to happen soon. I am tired of staying in that hellhole!