Five...

I walk up to the stone bars dividing the prisoner room from the hallway, glancing out. I spot Reece standing guard again. He has been hard on my case recently, but I understand that because I had killed his wife. I knock on the door, signaling that I wanted some time out. I then get a response from Reece.

"What is it?" He asks, his tone sounding angry.

"Can Belle and I have some time outside of this room?" I ask politely.

"No," he responds firmly. "You have to properly feel the consequences of your actions."

I sigh. No luck with Reece yet again. So... I stand there and wait for his guard shift to end so I can ask someone else.

Finally, Reece leaves, and I watch as Blake takes his spot.

Blake had just recently been promoted as a full guard, so they might be testing him. I don't want to ruin anything if that's the case... but I hope he would give me a chance. He's Maya's son too, after all.

"Hey, dude," I say as I knock on the door. "Can we have some time out?"

"I'm... not sure," Blake responds. "I'll have to ask one of the older ones when I get the chance. It's my first time doing this... you know?"

"Right, right," I respond, moving back a little. "I will be patient."

Then, I remember Belle's words and decide to try to strike a conversation with the teenage boy.

"So... how about you tell me a little about yourself? We haven't really... talked at all," I ask, feeling a bit nervous.

"Uh, sure I guess. But don't expect me to give away too much, I've been told you cannot be trusted," He responds.

"Okay, that's completely fine. I'll share some things about myself in return," I mention. I turn my head to look at Belle, who smiles at me and gives me a thumbs up.

"So, I was born here, obviously. Your mom is also my mom, but my father was Jeremy, who was killed in the battle your group started," He begins, saying that last part with a bit of bitterness in his tone. "My element is Earth."

"Hey, mine too," I add in. "Which you might've guessed... as both of my parents are Earth users."

"Yeah!" Blake responds. "I get bored pretty easily during downtime, so I like to play cards to pass the time. I know many different card games and I almost always win all of them when playing against family or friends. I have a strong desire to protect those I love, which was why I chose to become a guard when I was a kid. Mason was my mentor. Dylan, Lyana, and Lucia are close friends of mine, and I'm dating Megan. They're all really nice."

Really nice? I could've sworn that Lyana was about to attack me yesterday. I think.

"Oh, that's all real interesting. You seem like a cool dude. I will now share some things about myself in return as promised. You're right, we do have the same mother, but I had died before I was born," I explain.

"Wait, what?! So... how are you here then?" Blake reacts suddenly.

"I'm about to get to that. Medea, who I'm assuming you've heard of, brought me to life and raised me as her own along with her son, Akan. Akan became like a brother to me, and we were both young when Medea was killed. I promised to get back at those who killed her. We raised ourselves until we found a group of others who took us in. As we grew, we grew in social status. Akan quickly became their leader and declared us as The Opposing Elements with a plan to get back at The Elemental Union and take over your land," I explain to the teen. "I fought on The Opposing Elements' side in the battle... and as you must know, I killed Lily. Once I saw all of your true natures... I realized my mistakes and that I was only taught to hate you guys. Medea fed me lies when she was alive and Akan kept relaying those lies to me all these years. I soon realized that... I was on the side of the villains. And... here I am."

"Wow... you seem so much more interesting than me," Blake chuckles. "Your story could make a good book or something!"

"Yeah, I guess you could say that," I respond. "Well, it was nice getting to know you, kid."

"Thanks. You don't seem as bad as they make you seem. They talk about you and Belle as if you're some sort of monsters," Blake explains.

Monsters...? Am I a monster to them?

"Really? I mean... I guess I can understand," I reply, my tone sounding out my disappointment.

"Mom sticks up for you a lot though, which I think you should know. They all say that she's biased because you're her son but... after today, I definitely believe her," Blake admits. "You're not so bad, I think. Just misled. I don't think some people here would take that easily though. I swear, some of these people hate your guts. I understand why, though."

"I also understand. I kinda deserve it," I respond sadly.

"Don't say that!" Blake retaliates.

"It's true," I admit. "I fought against you guys. And killed someone."

"Yeah, that may be true, but you thought you were doing the right thing," Blake responds.

Damn, this kid is gullible. I think. But it's these sorts of people I need to use to get on the good sides of everyone else.

"Oh, I think someone is coming," Blake shares, looking around. He hollers and waves to get this person's attention.

"What is it?" I hear a familiar voice ask.

Dana. Hopefully Blake's sister will listen to him.

"Can Jasper and Belle have some time out of the prison room? They've requested it. I've talked to Jasper and he doesn't seem all that bad!" Blake asks, seemingly near the point of begging.

"I mean... I guess they can go as long as they are supervised. But, just know, that's what he wants you to think. Never get close to trusting these guys, got it? They might try to gain our trust only to backstab us," Dana responds. I let out a sigh of relief. I turn to look at Belle and she gets up off her bed, walking over to me excitedly.

"Can I supervise them?" Blake asks.

"Sure, but please let an adult know if anything seems off, okay?" Dana responds, beginning to unlock the door.

"Okay!" Blake responds. Once Dana opens the door, Belle and I step out as we can taste freedom once again.