Nine...

I woke up the next day, fully prepared to hopefully have another day to spend some time out of the prison room. However, that did not happen.

Dana guarded us. However, she refused to let us out like before since she insisted we've had too much time out of the prison recently and she doesn't want us to get used to it.

I can see where she's coming from, but I am desperate to ask Maya if she spoke to Brielle and Dana and how it went.

That entire day, we had no time outside of the prison room. We were just cooped up all day like we've been used to.

The next day was different.

That morning when I woke up, it was Mason who was tasked with guarding the prison room. The guy got lucky in the battle. He got stabbed with a crystal in the eye but he survived the wound. He now wears an eyepatch to hide the horrendous state of his left eye.

I move towards the door to ask him if he could let Belle and I spend some time out today.

"Hey Mason," I say to catch his attention. The middle-aged guard turns his head to look at me, waiting for what I have to say. "Can we spend some time out? Just for a little bit. There's someone I need to talk to."

"And who might that someone be?" Mason strikes back.

"Maya," I answer.

"Then only you can leave. Belle can only leave if she has a reason to," Mason responds. I turn my head to look at Belle sadly, wishing she can leave as well. But she gives me a quick thumbs up, letting me know that it's okay. Mason then opens the door and shuts it and locks it behind me once I exit.

"Thank you," I tell Mason before walking off, heading towards the rooms. It's early in the morning still, so it's most likely that Maya would be in her room.

Once I arrive, I give her door a few knocks. I wait a few seconds for an answer and there is none. I knock again and then a few seconds after, the door opens. Maya opens the door, lighting up at the sight of me.

"Oh, hello Jasper!" She smiles. "Come on in, I gotta fill you in. Reece is here though, so don't mind him."

Oh, great. He's here.

I step inside shyly and spot Reece standing at the other side of the living room. I could feel the rage radiating off of him and it sends a shiver down my spine. I watch as Maya turns to look at him.

"Can we get some privacy, please?" She asks him. "Feel free to go into one of the other rooms or go grab breakfast." Reece responds with a nod.

"Alright," he responds, obeying her wishes. He walks over to her and gives her a side hug, which just about made me hurl. Then, he left Maya's room to likely go get breakfast. As soon as he leaves, I turn to look back at Maya.

"How did it go? Did you talk to them?" I ask.

"Yes, and they agreed to not let Reece or any of his kids be assigned to guard you and Belle again," Maya responds. "Reece isn't too happy about it though. He was mad at me for doing what you requested for me to do. But I care for you. I wouldn't allow you to be uncomfortable or in danger. Isn't that what mothers do?" I let out a sigh in relief.

"Thank you... so much," I respond, giving her a small smile. "Not surprised he didn't take it well though. It seems like you two are on good terms again though?"

"Yeah, he got over it pretty quickly. I just had to talk to him about it all," Maya confirms. "You seriously shouldn't have killed Lily. The guy has been a mess since. He hates your guts, and rightfully so."

"Yeah... I know," I respond. "I regret so much. And that's why I want to change. But how can I change if no one is giving me the opportunity to? There's no way I can prove my loyalty while I'm locked up all day." I break eye contact with Maya, feeling a bit stressed.

"I'm giving you an opportunity," Maya is quick to speak. She grabs my hands into her own as a sign of reassurance. "And some of the others are also likely willing to."

"So why are Belle and I still locked up all day?!" I snap, feeling frustrated, which startles Maya a little. "We aren't being given and opportunity at all!" I yell.

"Hey, calm down," she says, massaging her thumb on one of my hands as her voice softens. "Everyone wants to be one hundred percent sure you two aren't threats before letting you completely free. You have to understand where everyone is coming from. Don't forget what you've done." I let out a deep sigh.

"I know..." I respond. "But at this point I'm tired of no one clearly wanting to give me a chance. How can I prove myself when I'm locked up all the time?!"

"Give them time," Maya suggests. "But for now, it's best to just obey. Arguing against the higher-ups would just do you more harm than good. Do what Brielle says you should do and as time goes on, your restrictions will start to loosen. I mean, it's already starting to. They used to not let either of you out at all."

"...I guess you're right," I respond, putting a palm to my face and halting eye contact. I don't want what she's saying to be the truth, but it probably is. "But... it's already been months."

"It will take a while, months or even years. But if you become defiant, you will just extend your time as a prisoner," Maya admits. "Trust me."

"I'll try my best to obey..." I promise, sulking a little. Maya notices this and pulls me into a tight hug.

"I'm just trying to look out for you. I want you to be free more than anyone else," She says, letting go of the hug.

"I appreciate that so much.... is this what having a real mother feels like?" I then ask, looking into her pale blue eyes.

"Yes, it is. I am your biggest supporter. It's a mother's job to love her children unconditionally," She gives me a smile. I smile back, feeling a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

For once, I feel loved by someone other than Belle. And it's my own mother. My real mother.

"Your father would've been the same, I just know it," Maya adds.

"Thanks... I can't put into words how much I appreciate this," I respond. "I don't deserve a mother like you."

"Yes you do," She responds defensively, furrowing her eyebrows. "Everyone deserves a loving mother. My mother wasn't the greatest, so I've been trying to not be like her... and I think I've done pretty good. With my other kids, anyways. I didn't raise you, obviously."

"Yeah.." I respond, looking away shyly. I open my mouth to say something else, but then I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in!" Maya calls out. And of course, in steps Reece with some food.

I begin to brace myself. I try to turn around and leave but Maya grabs me by the wrist before I can escape.

"Stay. Please."